Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

AC High Side Service Port Leak

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM
TZFBird
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC High Side Service Port Leak

2000 Stratus with the 2.5.

AC went out so I filled it up to check for leaks. After I got half a can in I found that there was oil coming out of the High Pressure serivce port. Tried reseating the ball a few times but each time the leak got worse. Oil stopped coming out but it was eventually a leak so bad I could hear it even with the hood closed. So the system is now empty again.
I'll be ordering a new Discharge hose and Dryer from Rockauto. Parts stores around here don't even offer the discharge hose. Does anyone know if a new hose will come with the associated O-rings/seals or should I plan on buying a complete system kit just in case?
This is my first time working on any Air Conditioning but I'm glad I got off easy with an obvious leak right out of the gate.

Last edited by TZFBird; 06-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM
TZFBird
Professional

Turns out I ordered the low side(suction) hose. High side(discharge) will show up today. Also picked up a reciever/dryer and O-ring kit just in case it doesn't hold vacuum and I need to replace some.

The High Side service port seems to have a check ball in it that is just an air filled rubber ball. It was split and allowed the refrigerant out. So I'm guessing a new one could be pressed into the port but I'll have to do some disassembly when the hose is changed out and the wife has AC again.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 PM
newtome96stratus
Default get a valve core wrench

If I'm not badly mistook the valve is very close to the valve stem in a tire. You should be able to back it out with a valve core wrench or a very VERY skinny needle nose pliers. Idk if your local parts house carries the valves but if you can get it I'd say try that and keep the hoses and kit as backup.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 AM
TZFBird
Professional

The low side has the valve stem but the high side does not use that.
I tried replacing all the seals in the system and broke a bolt off that holds the orifice tube block to the evaporator coil in the dash.
It takes almost 5 hours to pull the entire dash in a Stratus in order to get the coil out. I don't know if it the whole HVAC unit would come out easier if I had pulled the heating coil, but this is the way it happened.

My patience with this car is growing about as thin as the skin on my fingers after working in a vehicle dash or doors.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM
TZFBird
Professional

Got the system and dash back together which didn't take that long because I now have an extra handfull of screws. Vacuum out the system and recharged it yesterday. It was slow going at first but blows crazy cold now.
So, if anyone is doing their own AC work for the first time, make sure you pick up a set of those cheap plastic line disconnection tools... they are well worth the time and money it saves by trying to do it without them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC High Side Service Port Leak