Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Headlight issues

Old 06-03-2015, 04:48 PM
ToastHater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight issues

New car owner. Just picked up a 98 dodge stratus, 2.4L 4 cylinder, 4 door sedan. Big into DIY and figuring stuff out, looking for some help on where I should start before I just go out buying/replacing stuff. Just recently replaced the fuel pump/filter, when all I really needed to do was blow out the fuel line section from the rail to the passenger side undercarriage(with the help of a mechanic family member).

Small issue; the first notch to turn the headlights on randomly moves when I use the indicator...it's very touchy.

Bigger issue; the headlights don't actually turn on, only getting the fog lights(at least I think that's what they are, the dim light on the side between the headlights and the turn indicators).

High beams currently only work when I pull the indicator toward the steering wheel. They don't turn on when I use the switch in the second position.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM
BillS
Captain

most likely the switch is just worn out switch with fog lights runs between 115 and 150 depending on where , you could try checking fuse ,switching the headlight relay with another one ,wiring

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like the multifunction switch if fuses/relays check out. And also I assume you checked the bulbs themselves.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 AM
ToastHater

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Sounds like the multifunction switch if fuses/relays check out. And also I assume you checked the bulbs themselves.
Honestly, I haven't taken them apart yet, because I'm not sure what I'm doing. They are so hazed over, that I can't see if there is a bulb there or not. I can fix the hazing issue no problem. Learned this in auto-body collision repair, but know little to nothing about the electrical/mechanical. Not sure how to check the bulbs, without removing them to see if the filament is intact(or maybe a multimeter to see if there is any resistance?).

I have the manual for the car, so replacing something shouldn't be an issue. I'll take the headlight assembly apart tomorrow to see if bulbs are present or not(would be silly of me for making this post, but pretty sweet if it was just bulbs...lol). Then I guess work backwards from the headlight assembly to the switch...just have to figure out what is between those points and how to test them, lol. I do have a multimeter, so that should come in handy.

Been reading over the troubleshooting part of the electrical section of the manual as I write this post. There is lots of information, and it makes some logical points, but it's not super intuitive. Got a bunch of reading and tinkering to do I guess.

Last edited by ToastHater; 06-04-2015 at 02:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight issues