Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

pcm replacement and possible tools for the job.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:22 PM
timhodges15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm replacement and possible tools for the job.

I'm not very tech savy with cars in general. I took my stratus into a service center so they could run diagnostics on it. the information they gave to me is all they have on the matter so bear with me. They said the pcm needs to be replaced, and that there is some tool used to program the pcm itself so that it can run the car. First of all, where is the pcm located, and second is there an aftermarket tool that can be used to program the pcm itself?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:34 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PCM- powertrain control module, run both the engine and the transmission. Usually located inside the car, in the center of the dash. Its under the radio I believe on the coupes.

On our old 2000 Civic it didnt need programmed, i was able to swap one straight out for it when I thought it went bad. Highly unlikely its bad, but its possible. Unfortunately if it needs programmed it likely requires an expensive piece of equipment to do so.

Id get a second opinion on the PCM's condition.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:23 AM
BillS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the 2001 and up sedans its located under hood on drivers side in front of wheel well has box with 4 wiring harnesses coming out of it ,stratus is basically 3 different vehicles pre-2001, 2001 and up sedan (made by dodge),2001 and up coupe (basically a Mitsubishi )need to post year and model on future posts, I agree to get a 2nd opinion they had problems on some models with the seals on pcm wiring harnesses I know 2004 sedans not sure of other years try google or whoever you use to search your year recalls and TSB's . the tool and software to program them a lot more then cost of new pcm from dealer .you can get a rebuilt one for less then 300 usually on sale less then 200 with a year warranty seen a few people post buying from car computer exchange (theres a link on right of page under sponsors)without problems

Last edited by BillS; 06-28-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: pcm replacement and possible tools for the job.