Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

04 stratus won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Michael Mageau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 stratus won't start

Car stalled and won't start, you can hear the starter turning but won't turn motor. Anyone k ow anything about this?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If the starter is turning and the engine is not, starter gears or flywheel. Or the solenoid.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Michael Mageau

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If the starter is turning and the engine is not, starter gears or flywheel. Or the solenoid.
But the starter gears or solenoid wouldn't make it stall

Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Remove the plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 AM
jack_null
Amateur

Hope you figured this out. If not, this is how I do it.

1. Spray starter fluid into air intake. Starts up but dies? Fuel problem. Injectors, pump, lines, pressure regulator. Doesn't start? Spark. Coils, coil mount, plugs.

2. Compression. Engine turning over with low compression has a distinct sound. Could also do a compression test. Engine gaskets, seals. Last problem you want tbh

3. Air. Check for blocked passage ways. Throttle body opening. Hoses that are split. Air filter. You name it. Once my car wouldn't start because the butterfly valve wasn't opening when throttle was pressed.

And lastly (most difficult)

4. Electrical. Check your fuses and relays. Test your fuel pump relay. If you have a immobilizer check to make sure it's not cutting off fuel supply. RPM and Speed sensors. Any one of those bad will stop a car from running. Check for shorts. Test every sensor. Check for faults on OBD. If you have a scanner, make sure the car is picking up RPM readings while cranking the car.

In my experience with crank no start, it's been the fuel pump.

Just don't give up and keep trying. Took me two weeks stuck in a garage one time. (Fuel pump went, then butterfly valve wouldn't open) but I eventually figured it out. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 04 stratus won't start