Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Voltage coming from starter selenoid after startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Brewnj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage coming from starter selenoid after startup

I have a 2005 stratus 2.7 liter engine. Just replaced the engine. Now when I start it, within 15-30 seconds the starter starts again and I measure 12 VDC coming from the selenoid. If I let it go it burns out the senenoid. On my 3rd starter. Any ideas where the unwanted voltage is coming from? No blown fuses, replaced the relay, still happens with relay removed. Voltage to the selemoid is present during starting then drops to zero then after 15 seconds voltage appears again, statrer begins spinning. Voltage is coming from the selenoid.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:04 AM
jack_null
Amateur

Maybe try a lower rated amp relay for the starter? Just seems odd that it's not blowing the relay if it's frying your starters. But by using a lower rated relay, you can narrow down if maybe the current that fries the starter actually is happening after the relay. Or if the lower amp relay blows, then at least you know there's a consistent current, but problem lies somewhere else.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Brewnj
Default Thanks for your response

I'll try that but i don't think that's the problem because the voltage is backfeeding from the starter selenoid. took one of the selenoids apart and found that the pickup magnets were ground down to nothing. i think the voltage feeding back is reverse polarity and spinning the armature in reverse direction thus ruining the selenoid. I'mgoing to measure it to find out if thats happening then take it from there. Thanks for your suggestion.

Originally Posted by jack_null
Maybe try a lower rated amp relay for the starter? Just seems odd that it's not blowing the relay if it's frying your starters. But by using a lower rated relay, you can narrow down if maybe the current that fries the starter actually is happening after the relay. Or if the lower amp relay blows, then at least you know there's a consistent current, but problem lies somewhere else.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 PM
jack_null
Amateur

That makes a lot of sense actually. Good luck to you

Quick Reply: Voltage coming from starter selenoid after startup