Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Nate738
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)

Having bad vibration after CV axle replacement.
2004 Dodge Stratus 2.4l sxt.

(Note: The whole passenger side was rebuilt by me. New wheel bearing, new upper & lower arm with balljoint/ tierod end.)

My old passenger side cv boot got ripped somehow and spew the grease all over the inner rim. I decided to replace the whole passenger cv axle assembly. After installing new axle.. when I drive starting from a stop my car makes a (rubbing noise?) gets louder and starts to vibrate the faster I go, I can feel it through the whole car. I replaced this new refurbished axle with another one, same issue, then decided to have oreilly auto parts order a new non-refurb axle, installed it and still have the issue. After 3 new axles I'm stumped

I did a rotation test with the car in neutral and off the ground. When I spin this passenger side wheel it seems to want to stop about 5 times in a rotation like its rubbing something, inner bearings?. Not sure if installed wrong, isn't that hard. Is there something I damaged inside the transmission you can damage when putting in a new axle?

My dumbass didn't measure my original cv axle length so I trust these auto parts stores have the right measurements to stock though I wish I had a repair manual for specs, thinking they all might be too long or something. Also, NEVER had this issue with my old cv axle it spun like a champ.

Anyone else run into axle issues/vibration like this?

Attached Thumbnails Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)-kimg0026.jpg   Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)-kimg0029.jpg   Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)-kimg0028.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Nate738
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update FIX: Pulled the axle off the wheel bearing and did the spin test on the partially new 5 month old wheel bearing and it seems to be the one doing the stop and not the axle.
Must've over torqued the axle nut or something to press the wheel bearing against itself (cheap *** parts) Installed new wheel bearing Issue fixed!

Quick Reply: Axle Gurus - (Vibration issues)