Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

mechanical miss under load only 04 2.7L Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM
mde64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanical miss under load only 04 2.7L Help

Hey, I have an 04 stratus with the 2.7 L and it has a miss in the engine only under a load. No codes are coming up, so this is telling me this is a mechanical failure or some gremlin going on in this engine. Any help is appreciated. It has 84,000k on it and it idles great. I don't hear any vacuum leaks or taping. There is no antifreeze in the oil and there's a smell of raw gas in the exhaust. The miss only happens under a load and the more load, like the a/c on and heater blower and lights, the more it misses. Thanks for any help with this.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 PM
BillS
Captain

how's air filter , throttle body might need cleaning , have you checked plugs they could be weak or fouled ( my old '04 only made it to 75,000 before plugs went bad ),if you change them stick with champion plugs (mine ran worse with bosch). if you need advice on back 3 plugs let me know

Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 PM
mde64

Yeap....any help is great here. I was wondering how to get the rear plugs out. I'm thinking of checking the coils and such this weekend, but the guy I bought it from said he threw a lot of parts at it and if it were the plugs, wouldn't a check light come on? Just wondering. Thanks

Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM
BillS
Captain

Not necessarily will it set check engine light on a slight misfire , the rear plugs are a pain you need a real good socket so plug doesn't fall out and 2. 3 inch extensions after you take coil pack off put socket in hole add first 3 inch extension then add second 3 inch extension put wrench on loosen ,fun part have to try and take extensions apart while pulling plug out

Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM
mde64

Ok..did the full tune up and replaced the valve cover gaskets due to excess oil in the spark plug tubes...didn't help! Ugg...now I have a check engine light for the high input of the tps sensor, must be one of those dodge things that need to be reset or calibrated at the dealer. So much for that...I'm thinking about injectors now. I don't know if there's a port for checking fuel pressure,but this thing seems to be starving for fuel, or that's what it seems like. It runs fine under idle, but when you hit the throttle, it misses until it hits 3 to 4 k on the tach and runs fine. It doesn't seem to have the power it is suppose to have though. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:01 PM
BillS
Captain

check engine light I would check wiring going into throttle body possible you knocked something loose when doing valve covers

Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 PM
mde64

Na..nothing loose, the light went off. Now my question is what is the difference in the color of the injectors...I have the yellow bosch injectors. Is there a thread here on the different colors of injectors?

Quick Reply: mechanical miss under load only 04 2.7L Help