Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

help with bad lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 PM
dorn4ever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with bad lifter noise

hey everyone I'm working on a 2000 stratus 2.5 v6 just over 100k miles on it. don't know these motors at all. it runs really good but it seems the lifters are really loud and ticky like there's no oil. more so than any other vehicle I've had with noisy lifters and with the least amount of mileage. it sounds like it's all coming from the front of the car (not necessarily front of the motor). anyway that valve cover needs a new gasket as it's leaking on the exhaust so while I'm in there is there anything i can look at or replace as far as the lifter noise? also I'm not sure if the timing belt has ever been replaced but could that make a similar noise? tensioner? thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Douggro
Rookie

The 2.5l doesn't have lifters, though it does have rocker arms with a hydraulic lash adjuster in them. You could try running half a quart of transmission fluid in the oil with the engine at temp and idling for 5 minutes right before doing a thorough drain and oil change. The detergent in transmission fluid will often clean out gummed up oil passages.

If you have the valve cover off, check all the rocker arms to make sure that none are cracked, broken or loose.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 AM
dorn4ever

Thanks for the reply. Ok yeah I've heard about the lash adjusters wasn't sure if this was one of the engines with them or not. I will do a good inspection and see what I can see but otherwise if adding the tranny fluid and oil change doesn't help then basically they are the way they are?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Yes, I double-checked my CSM for the camshaft / rocker arm setup on the 2.5l, and they are not adjustable. 100K miles is a little early for valve/rocker noise to develop in most motors, but not unheard of (pun intended).

Timing belt / tensioner would be low on the list for any ticking noises coming from the motor. A mechanics stethoscope or even the old long screwdriver held to the ear could help narrow down the source of the ticking.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 PM
dorn4ever

ok thanks for the help i will update if i come up with anything

Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 AM
dorn4ever

So I tore in a little and I found that 3 of the 6 lash adjusters/lifters that I looked at were broke. The black ring that holds the upper end of them was cracked so the tip could move separately from the rest of the lash adjuster. One actually came out in 2 pieces. The other 3 move in and out fairly easily. I'm guessing I will find more but didn't have time.

Attached Thumbnails help with bad lifter noise-image.jpeg  
Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Douggro
Rookie

That would explain the noise! Rockers with the bad ones were loose I take it?
If you need it, I do have the Service Manual for the 2.5l motor that I could send you.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 PM
dorn4ever

yeah that did it replaced them all and started it up took about 5 mins before they started getting better and after about ten mins they were all quiet. i probably won't need a service manual I'll be selling the car soon. last thing to fix should be a busted coil spring front driver. not sure how those usually go on these cars but hopefully straight forward?!

Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Originally Posted by dorn4ever
yeah that did it replaced them all and started it up took about 5 mins before they started getting better and after about ten mins they were all quiet. i probably won't need a service manual I'll be selling the car soon. last thing to fix should be a busted coil spring front driver. not sure how those usually go on these cars but hopefully straight forward?!
Depends on how you want to go with it on the repair. And how badly it's broken.

If there's still enough tension that the coil is providing a load with the wheel off the ground, it may be hard to get a spring compressor to work on it. You could always use a grinder with a cutting disc and cut some of the coils.

Quick Struts would be the easy answer - just replace the whole strut and spring as an assembly.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:10 PM
BillS
Captain

Originally Posted by dorn4ever
here's an online manual http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...6amp%3Bpli%3D1 show you how to change strut its not to hard you should be able to get it out even with broken coil, there a pain in the a@@ to take apart if you use a clamp on compressor like parts stores sell or rent, springs are to long ,control arm in way have to really fight it . I agree quick struts easier rock auto carries one about 143 dollars has everything don't get cheaper one without control arm strut has to be taken apart to replace control arm or you might find something on ebay since your getting rid of car soon

Quick Reply: help with bad lifter noise