Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus Asd relay not closing, no start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Kevind83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus Asd relay not closing, no start?

Hello, I have a stratus that I'm pulling my hair out with! The car died at highway speed and would not start. I replaced the fuel pump first, was not the problem. I realized I had a no bus signal and had no power to the fuel pump, or the Asd relay not closing. I checked crank and cam sensors, both were sending signals out, 5 v. I replaced the computer and now the pump runs when the key is turned on, but the Asd relay closes for for a couple seconds, then opens and stays open when cranking. I replaced the crank sensor because the old one had some oil in the connection, just to make sure that wasn't the problem.
Does anyone have any ideas why the Asd relay would not be closing? Anyone have any files of the wiring diagram of the Asd relay? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Kevind83

I forgot to mention that the no bus signal on the odometer is gone now that I replaced the computer also. The only thing I'm not getting is the Asd is not closing.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relay is not the problem. It is only turned on for 3 seconds if the PCM does not think that the engine is turning over.

This input comes from both the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor.

How did you determine that these sensors had the correct output?

Their outputs are pulses, impossible to tell with a voltmeter.

Need a scope or expensive scan tool for this.

They should have 3 wires each: ground, 5v reference, and sensor signal.

The ground and reference come from the PCM.

I don't have any diagrams for your model, sorry.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 08-03-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Kevind83

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...crank-sensor-1

This is the link I followed to test the crank sensor. There is a similar page that deals with the cam sensor. I had someone turn the motor by hand as I watched the volt signal out. Both tested ok.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Kevind83

An update: I did find a hot wire connector, that is connected with the coil power, was grounding itself to a bracket. After I taped that up the car started! I test drove it for about 15 minutes. After shutting off the car, it would not start again.
Now the Asd relay quickly closes and opens when the engine is cranking. I'm also getting a p0118 and p0123 code. Those have to do with the throttle position sensor and the purge valve solenoid circuit. I'm going to check for shorts in the solenoid curcuit first. I hope I can figure something out!

If anyone has any input, or wiring diagrams I would greatly appreciate your help!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus Asd relay not closing, no start?