Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 dodge stratus fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 AM
Kinney Trenholm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge stratus fuse blowing

I just recently gotten a dodge stratus 98 and as i was going through all the fuses trying to figure out why it would not start no clicking nothing i discovered the starter fuse was blown 20 amp yellow. I replaced it and it started right up i let it idle for a few then turned it off tried to start it again and it blew the fuse a neighbor said her dad who is a machanic for 25 + years said to try a 30 amp in there instead. now im not machanicly inclind so im wondering would that be safe to use till i can replace the starter or would that kill my car?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Find out what the amperage rating is supposed to be before replacing with a higher rated one. That can cause things to burn up. I would never suggest to replace with a higher rated fuse before finding out what it's supposed to be and finding out what's causing it to blow. That's dangerous. Just goes to show 25+ years of being a "mechanic" means nothing if you don't have common sense to go along with it.

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-10-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Douggro
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a 20A fuse. The fact that it's blowing the fuse indicates either too much load or a dead-short in the circuit. I would not recommend replacing it with a higher amp-rating fuse until you figure out what's causing it to blow.

Power from that fuse goes three places: the starter via the starter relay, the fuel pump via the fuel pump relay, and the ignition switch. The fact that it started and ran after replacing the fuse, then blew again when trying to restart has me leaning towards the ignition switch having an intermittent short.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge stratus fuse blowing