Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1998 stratus 2.5L How to realign camshaft and crankshaft missing timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Billdoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 stratus 2.5L How to realign camshaft and crankshaft missing timing belt

What is the proper procedure realign camshaft and crankshaft timing belt positions with a 1998 stratus 2.5L six cylinder engine missing the timing belt?

Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Douggro
Rookie

The procedure should be in any of the off-the-shelf manuals like Haynes or Chiltons.. I have the '99 service manual in PDF form, which should be identical to the '98. PM me if you want it.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Billdoe
Default Belt is removed and marks not at TDC

When replacing an existing timing belt one can turn the engine to top dead center (TDC) and align the timing marks, before removing the old belt, but in my circumstance the belt is missing and the cams and crankshaft are not on TDC.

It looks like the belt and adjuster were removed which allowed the right camshaft(closest to the firewall), to have turned( from valve spring tensions), and caused the belt to jump approximately 7 teeth, rotating towards the firewall. The left cam and crankshaft remained in position, but not at TDC.

The crankshaft timing mark is pointed at 5 o'clock and the left camshaft pulley is pointed at 3 o' clock position, when viewing from the passenger side of engine towards the driver side.

I need the priority sequence and proper procedure to turn the individual shafts to reach the TDC alignment of timing marks, without any interference damage from valve to piston contact.

Can you give me the URL link to the manufacturers web page that has the procedure list of instructions.

Thanks for your prompt response and help.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Douggro
Rookie

The camshaft marks should be ~12 o'clock on each head; the pulleys are marked and so are the heads. Engine rotation is clockwise looking at it from the front; I would start rolling the cams back towards their home position after setting the crank to near TDC on it's timing mark. If anything binds, STOP. There's some allowance for float in the crank/cam timing but not a lot. You should be able to get the marks aligned if you take your time and are careful moving them.

Again, PM me or let me know if you want the CSM - it's only a 7MB PDF..