Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine code PO846 and PO700

Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 PM
miken1c389
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine code PO846 and PO700

So I have a code reader and I am having an issue with the transmission. The codes read are PO846 and PO700. One day it through itself into "limp-mode" and wouldnt shift from first gear as limpmode will do. I added more fluid to the car and it now shifts and will go over 35mph. It has some problems at first when I hit the gas and it doesnt want to move, then catches and moves (I dont push it hard at all). I drove it to work today with the intentions of taking it to get fixed, first time I drove it since the engine light came on a few days ago. So my concern is what may need to be replaced, is it the Transmission shift solenoid replacement or could it jhust be a sensor. Either way any idea what its going to cost me to take to a mechanic to get this issue fixed and the code wiped? Thank you in advance

Last edited by miken1c389; 01-09-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: mis type
Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Most places (except the dealer) will perform a free inspection to give you an idea of what the cost will be for repair.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM
miken1c389

I called around and pep boys wont touch it with that code and transmission places want 550 flat fee just to diagnose this issue??? My fluid level is full and I am wondering if its going to be okay to drive for the 2 more months I need this car before I get a new one. Could this code of been triggered if the fluid ran out? Because I filled it up and it seems to be out of limp mode and all gears are shifting without any horrid sounds. So I guess I want to know if it would be okay to drive still? Maybe disconnect battery to wipe ciode if that will work and see if it comes back? Or is there somewhere else I should try taking it to see whats going on? The car sounds fine shifts fine, just some issues before its up to temp since its so cold out right now, when its up to temp it drives and shifts fine with hard braking being the only exception where it might bump forward a second.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Best guess is it was the low fluid level, particularly if you added more than 2 quarts of fluid. The P0846 is a pressure sensor range/performance code (no explanation for probable causes on the code sites I use) while the P0700 is the generic TCM trip code that goes any time there's a transmission problem.

Get the transmission warm by driving for half an hour or so and check the fluid level (in PARK with the car on a level surface) and it should read in the HOT range. Use only ATF+4 as spec'd by Chrysler.

Hard upshifts/downshifts could be a sign that the solenoid pack is starting to go, or that the TCM needs to re-learn the shift points. Otherwise, I'd think you'd be safe for the next few months driving.

Search this Thread