Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Alternator Question (2006 2.4L)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 PM
jack_null
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Question (2006 2.4L)

My car has had a bad squealing issue since I first purchased it. Thought at first it was the belt, but it wasn't.

Now I believe I have it narrowed down. It's either a bad alternator bearing, pulley/idler, harmonic balancer, or the A/C compressor bearing.

So here's my question: The pulley on the alternator... can that be bought separately?? I really don't want to shell out $300 for a new alternator when all I need is the pulley/bearing.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Those adjuster idlers were HORRIBLE about failing. Do you know how to use a long screwdriver to listen for amplitude?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 PM
jack_null
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've watched a video that Eric the Car Guy demonstrated how to do it, but seemed a bit ridiculous to me. I just plan to remove the belt again and spin them until I find the culprit. Unless you think the playing telephone with a screw driver would be a smarter idea?

Also, the adjuster idler? Is that the one holding the tension in the serpentine belt?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not. You can get really close to the source. Another good guy to watch on Youtube is South Main Auto.