Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 bad fuel filter?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 PM
srogers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 bad fuel filter?

I have a 2002 stratus 4 door SE.

The car will run great with a full tank of gas. The problem starts when the gas gauge gets below 1/4 tank. All of a sudden it idles rough and will even stall at stop lights or even when stoped in parking lots. Then when tring to restart the car it has a hard time to start.

I was thinking that it could be time for a tune up with new spark plugs and wires. Then it dawned on me that it could be the fuel filter.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Old 05-14-2006, 04:01 PM
B_52
Professional
Default RE: 2002 bad fuel filter?

Have you put any fuel additives in the car? You might want to get some STP or other water emulsifier, because it sounds like you may have water in your tank. Seeing the water settles to the bottom, it would be more noticeable as you approach empty. Beyond that, Id look at your fuel filter, and have the fuel pressure checked. Plugs and wire are an ok thing to do about now anyhow, but they will have no effect on this problem as described.

2cents
Vince

Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
srogers

I did put some fuel line clean up in, but that was it. So get something water emulsifier. I will look into this and give an update on the problem.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:34 AM
srogers

Well the problem seems to be getting worse and worse now. I added STP gas treatment into the tank. The problem still on going. Now the problem does not wait for it to be on a 1/4 of a tank, it occurs at will it seems now. Almost did not make it home from work. I work about 45 mins away and the car started to act up just as I left work.

So I am taking the day off tomorrow to take it to a shop and have the fuel pressure check out to see if it is a fuel pump and filter problem. If that is the case I think I might be in for some cost and time. I have a decent paying job but can't afford to get the pump fixed so I might be screwed. I hope what the test tomorro will prove is that the pump works fine and the filter is clear. This way it would cut my options down on the problem.

I if that is the case then a tune up will be the first thing that I do.
Coupe of questions:
1. What brand of plugs would be the best?
2. What plug wires?
3.Should the coil pack on top of the valve cover be replaced as well? I think that this is an expensive part as well.

If the tune up don't fix the problem and the filter and pump are good. Where should I head to next in the line of possible problems? Could the cat be clogged? Or the O2 sensor bad?

Sorry for all the questions. I am not a true car guy. Just know enough to get myself out of jams sometimes.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
B_52
Professional

I'd still keep water in the tank as a possibility, although your next step after STP is to totally drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel.
Just in case you didn’t understand what STP does, it allows the water to mix with the fuel, rather than separate from it. That way it gets out of the system buy being burnt in the engine. You could still have a lot H2O, but now it is suspended at ALL levels of the tank.

Im kinda thinking out loud here cause I’m not in your shoes, nor am I near the car to see and feel how it reacts. But if adding STP made the ¼ tank problem become an ALL tank problem, I wonder if we didn’t hit the nail on the head, and you had some REALLY bad water and gas issues?

As for plugs, don’t waste time or money on a lot on fancy stuff. Simple ND or NGK will work perfectly.

2cents
V

Old 05-18-2006, 09:18 PM
srogers

Well the problem has been fixed. Took it to the shop. And they tinkered with it. They asked if engine light came on I told him. I never seen it. So we went for a ride and got a light to come one. Took it back hooked it up, and told us the crank shaft and cam shaft sensor was bad. One or the other. The guys told me most likly the crank shaft sensor.

So I go to the local parts store. After 75 dollars for a part that looks like it took 10 bucks to make. Went home, jacked up the car, Changed out the sensor. Went for a drive. NO more stalling no more rough idle. So the problem this whole time was the Crank Shaft sensor.

Only took 10mins to change out too. So this might be some info if anyone is having this problem.

Had them check the gas pressure too. It was a little lower then normal suppose to have 52kpi we had 48kpi. I think it was KPI as the measurement. Don't remember. But it was only 4 off.

Thanks for the help guys, I am going to stay and talk on this board, seems pretty cool.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
B_52
Professional

Glad to hear your back on the road.

V

Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
srogers

Seems like my problem has come back. Only this time with a fun twist. It has been storming here for the past day or two. I have not noticed anything wrong with the car, seem to drive fine.
My girl gets in the car and takes it off to go tanning and to her freinds house. She calls me a half hour later saying the car has staled out and she can't get it started. I asked her if she happened to drive through some water. The answer was yes. I figure she just got water into the engine compartment. She finaly gets home. I go out say pop the hood and look around to see if I can see anything wrong. Of course nothing. I grap a spray bottle. I mist the coil pack and plugs to see if there might be a problem there, nothing.
So I take the car for a ride around the neighbor hood. Still nothing.
Well my girl gets hungry so I take her over to Taco Bell to get some food. I hit a mud puddle. This is where the fun begins. The car immediatly starts to sputter. The rpm gauge starts going nuts like it is possessed by a demon. Jumped from 9rpm to 1rpm to 6rpm so forth. A few seconds later it stops. It happened on other time. Now my thinking is that there is a wire exposed somewhere on the passenger side. It does not do if i hit a puddle on drivers side.

Well this mourning on my way to work the car started up, and idle really rough. I mean to the point if it had rust the rust would have been shaken off. Well I say screw it I have to goto work, and work is 45 mins away. So I drive to work, all highway. Nothing no sputtering no weird rpm gauge. I was just wondering if anyone had this problem and if so what did they do to solve it. My girl is mad cause she says the car hates her. Every time it breaks down or starts acting wierd she is driving. Which I find to be kinda funny. Well anyways, Thanks for any help.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 PM
tomthedog
Captain

just so i understand. ran good after CPS was changed. hit puddle on pass side and big problems. puddles no sweat on driver's side.

when you changed out the CPS did you have to remove any splash shields? i'm guessing the CPS is on the pass side of the car, right?

i'm guessing, the wife is driving her '02 se so i cant look at it.

sometimes splash shields are held in with plastic pulg-things. these get pretty jacked up if you pop them out. might not be getting good enough seal to the wheel well, letting water get through, screwing with the sensor readings.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:09 PM
srogers

There was not splash guard. By the sensor atleast. The sensor is on the back of the engine block near the frame member that is by the axle. I am going to jack it up today and see if there is anything that I can see that could be a problem.
I did not remove the fender lineing, or any splash guards when I changed out the CPS. The only thing that I can think of is that I did not tighten it down all the way and it is not sitting in the slot right. And when water gets splashed it hits the sensor. Other then that I don't see why there could be any problem what so ever.

I will give my results when I get done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 bad fuel filter?