Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

car hesitating during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrizzle
I had the same code p0016 (crankshaft position sensor) but my car wont start at all. it will turn over but will not catch. i was very low on gas so got off the exit to get gas. had to stop near top of hill and car turned off. figured i ran out of gas so i walked to the gas station and put some in a gas can and brought back to car but it still wouldn't start. had to get a tow home. called around and people thought it was the fuel pump. had a mechanic finally come out and hook up to scanner then he got the P0016 code. He was able to hear the fuel pump buzzing so he said its not that. He told me that usually when this sensor goes out the camshaft sensor will go out. so i got both. replaced the camshaft sensor (pretty easy) but i couldn't find the crank sensor. i bought the haynes manual but the illustration seems to be incorrect. i went under there but there was no sensor there and no electrical wire in the vicinity. does anyone have any idea what's goin on here?
Thrizzle, we can't help you unless you can tell us what you got. Year, Trim, sedan/coupe, and engine is the MINIMUM information. Its been said an awfully lot, but just having a stratus can mean you either drive a dodge or a mitsubishi, or for the older ones, a combination of both like mine. Of course parts are going to be in different places, and the haynes manual may not be ideal for YOUR configuration. (2g coupe is best serviced by the mitsubishi eclipse manual). Please get back with us, and we'll see what we can do.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Thrizzle

Sorry about that. i have a 2005 Stratus 2.4L DOHC 4Door. had the crank sensor replaced yesterday-same. mechanic looked at it and thinks its the timing belt. i had it towed to a shop and they will do proper diagnostics on it. waiting to hear from them now. thnx

Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he thinks that its the timing belt? if the timing belt is broken, its hard to mistake...

do you have spark and fuel getting to the cylinders?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 AM
skbladen
Default Hesitation, cruise malfunction, engine non-start

I've been having a similar issue with my '04 Stratus (4 cyl.) but mine has a couple more symptoms. The car hesitates between shifts under normal acceleration and when I let up on the accelerator, it shifts and then I continue moderate accel. until the next shift. This currently happens about 75% of the time when accelerating from a stop. I also experience the same hesitation when crusing at about 62 or 63 MPH, but when I take my foot of the accel. and slow to 60 or 61 MPH, I can cruise forever, up or downgrade without problems.

I'm also having the problem about 40% of starts where it just turns over. Sometimes on the second try it will fire, other times it takes 4 or 5 tries before the engine fires up but so far it always starts up within 5 attempts.

Another symptom is when I do experience the hesitation at 63MPH or between shifts when accel from a stop, the cruise control can't be activated until I stop, turn off the engine and start it again.....sometimes with a new start the cruise system comes back up but other times it can't be turned on and no cruise light will come on when I push cruise on.

The engine light has come on and Autozone pulled codes P0325 and P0340.
P0340 - 1)Cam sensor defective, 2) Cam sensor wire problem, 3) timing belt out of time.
P0325 - 1) knock sensor defective, 2) knock sensor wiring problem, 3) knock or rattle in engine and 4) low fuel pressure.

I have been getting by and have not taken it to the shop yet for fear I'll have a bunch of troubleshooting and sensor changes before ultimately having to replace the timing belt. Can anyone give guidance on the real source of my problem?

Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Gabriel Morin

Ok people, car still riding rough. Check your wiring. Heat shield does go bad and wires will melt. If you think its your fuel pump, 90% chance its not. If you have hesitation check wires behind engine. Dont be surprized to find melted wires. Happen to mine. Spent $600 before I found out what it was. Friend of mine had same propblem. was infact the wires. Hope this helps. Hit me up for questions. gabriel4101@gmail.com

Your getting codes pop up because of the wires

Last edited by Gabriel Morin; 06-09-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: ad on
Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Raylan
Default Car will not accelerate

I have a dodge stratus 2006 I just drove my car 700 miles and in a weeks time of just driving it to work it's starting to act up I have changed the spark plug wires and the coil box at first it seemed liked the problem was fixed but then it started again please help have no clue what to try next

Quick Reply: car hesitating during acceleration