Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

car hesitating during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
tenitamitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car hesitating during acceleration

Hello
I need some help.My timing belt broke so I had it replaced and it will start and run. But now my car when you accelarate on the gas will hesitate and jerk so I have to let off the gas until it shifts then it will drive. This problem only happens when I take off or try to accelarate. I took it to the mechanic and they replaced the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor on it but it is still jerking and hesitating. Also when the put it on the tester it came back as a
code p0016 (crankshaft position/camshaft position sensorcorrelation bank 1 sensor A). Can someone please tell me have they had this problem and where the part is located and also whatdoes the part looks like.Much appreciated

T

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
RooK
Rookie
Default RE: car hesitating during acceleration

More specifics on the engine/model. The 3.0 V6 is an interference engine and you could have bent some valves when it broke.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
tenitamitchell

My engine is 2.4 L (4 cylinder) they checked the valves they are fine so they say but the car only acts like that between 20-30 mph and alsoof course if you gun it. And my concern is the code it is reading P0016. If it is not the crank or camshaft position sensor which they replaced what other sensor could it be. It almost seems it has to do with the oxygen and fuel intake but I don't know. What is strange is that the mechanic after he had replaced those two parts and read the code that was coming out due to the ck engine light onsaid I don't know what sensor it is. Help!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
RooK
Rookie

Never heard of a code P0016.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 AM
tenitamitchell

Hello All
Just wanted to give an update on my vehicle.Well the timing was off 22-23 degrees and also I had a bad TB tensioner. So if anyone has this problem with your car make sure you take it back and let them fix it. I took mine to 3 different mechanics 2 said the timing is off and 1 said the timing is okay. So make sure you get a mechanic that knows what he is doing. Also the shop that fixed my car credited me back 200 dollars for my diagnostics from 2 of the shops. So going to get some brakes today. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 AM
B_52
Professional

Thanks for the keeping us posted...

Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Richards_Keith

Just a curiosity:what's theyear of your car and how many miles on it?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 PM
tenitamitchell

2003 Dodge Stratus SE 109000

Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 PM
JohnLD

2003 Stratus 4cyl SXT 57,000 miles: Same problem, When I get to 2000 rpm the car hesitates and will not shift. Engine Light indicates that is is the cam sensor, both cam sensor and the other?? were replaced....did not fix problem. Taking to Dealership tomorrow, they are going to "Flash " the computer. I also notice the Cruise Control will not work. Definately some electrical issue. The car is out of warranty as far as bumper to bumper but this is BS!!

I will take this post to daeler tomorrow to see if it is the TB sensor.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Thrizzle

I had the same code p0016 (crankshaft position sensor) but my car wont start at all. it will turn over but will not catch. i was very low on gas so got off the exit to get gas. had to stop near top of hill and car turned off. figured i ran out of gas so i walked to the gas station and put some in a gas can and brought back to car but it still wouldn't start. had to get a tow home. called around and people thought it was the fuel pump. had a mechanic finally come out and hook up to scanner then he got the P0016 code. He was able to hear the fuel pump buzzing so he said its not that. He told me that usually when this sensor goes out the camshaft sensor will go out. so i got both. replaced the camshaft sensor (pretty easy) but i couldn't find the crank sensor. i bought the haynes manual but the illustration seems to be incorrect. i went under there but there was no sensor there and no electrical wire in the vicinity. does anyone have any idea what's goin on here?

Quick Reply: car hesitating during acceleration