Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

08 Viper ACR numbers are in

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Jviper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Viper ACR numbers are in

We have tested at many tracks and the results vary with them. At a 2.0 mile track (1:30 lap time range) with high speed corners where the aerodynamics can show off, the ACR is typically 3 seconds faster than the 2008 Viper SRT10 and 4.5 seconds faster than the 2006 Viper SRT10.

The ACR 0-60 times are identical to the 08 SRT-10.

In the 1/4 mile, the ACR is about 0.1-0.2 seconds slower than the SRT-10.

We just tested the top speed of the ACR at our Arizona Proving Grounds and reached a top speed of 177 mph.

Of course the reason for the top speed reduction is the drag trade-off due to the downforce improvements. Although the wing, splitter, and diveplanes are extremely efficient (increase downforce at around a 7:1 ratio to drag penalty), the top speed will suffer. Don't worry too much, if they can catch back up to you on the straight, they'll have no chance of staying with you through the corner.

This is from the engineers. So long ZR1.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: 08 Viper ACR numbers are in

Interesting. I didn't even think about the top speed dropping.
If that's the case then they need to increase the power.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Jviper

We have tested at many tracks and the results vary with them. At a 2.0 mile track (1:30 lap time range) with high speed corners where the aerodynamics can show off, the ACR is typically 3 seconds faster than the 2008 Viper SRT10 and 4.5 seconds faster than the 2006 Viper SRT10.

We just tested the top speed of the ACR at our Arizona Proving Grounds and reached a top speed of 177 mph.

Of course the reason for the top speed reduction is the drag trade-off due to the downforce improvements. Although the wing, splitter, and diveplanes are extremely efficient (increase downforce at around a 7:1 ratio to drag penalty), the top speed will suffer. Don't worry too much, if they can catch back up to you on the straight, they'll have no chance of staying with you through the corner.

Wait, let me think about this for a second.....

Even with the NEW powerplant, the SRT10 Viper only edges out the current Z06 by a small margin.....and now your going to go up against a supercharged 650hp ZR1 Corvette???

Sorry, but the Viper is still lacking....

And considering that people with completely stock Z06 Corvettes are getting into the high 10 second range on factory issued run flat tires.....with only 500hp.....what pray tell is the Viper going to do????

The new Viper is nice, but they should have done more..

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Jviper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: Jviper

Wait, let me think about this for a second.....

Even with the NEW powerplant, the SRT10 Viper only edges out the current Z06 by a small margin.....and now your going to go up against a supercharged 650hp ZR1 Corvette???

Sorry, but the Viper is still lacking....

And considering that people with completely stock Z06 Corvettes are getting into the high 10 second range on factory issued run flat tires.....with only 500hp.....what pray tell is the Viper going to do????

The new Viper is nice, but they should have done more..
Where did you get the 650hp? C&D has the ZR1 at only 620hp and 620lb-ft or torque. 0-60 is 3.5 and the 1/4 mile is 11.0sec.Its weight is 3350 lb. Which is the same as the Hardcore package on the 08 Viper ACR. They will domorejust wait till the final numbers of the ZR1 are in. [sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can not verify the ZR1 estimated times as I do not spend time looking for them.

But the SRT or ACR is NOT 3.5 0-60. It is just under 4 @3.8-3.9. Not that it matters much. 0-60 times in these cars are a useless measurement.

I can not recall if it was car and driver or edmunds, but they ran the 08 SRT to a 3.9 0-60. The ACR is not .4 faster LOL

Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The ZR1 still doesnt have an official HP designation. The 650hp number has been thrown around since the start.....and even if its 620hp....we're talking about peanuts....not a huge margin.

Here's the comparison tests of the 08 SRT-10 Viper vs. the 07 Z06 Corvette

Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=130927

Car & Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...vette-z06.html

In both cases, the Viper edges out the Z06 by a mere margin of less then .3 tenths of a second.....despite an additional 100hp and 100ftlbs of torque...

Viper pulling 0-60 in 3.5 seconds running through the 1/4 mile barrier in 11.6 seconds at 126 MPH. The Z06 did 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and pulled 11.7 @ 125 MPH in the 1/4 mile. While the Viper did win, we would have expected some higher trap speeds from the milestone breaking 600HP V10 Viper.Not forgetting about the “twisties†(the unofficial Bimmer crowd mantra) the Viper outdid the Z06 around a 2 mile road course by 1 second.
And if that's all the improvement you get stock.....what exactly is going to happen when they release the new ZR-1???

As for them doing more.....you dont wait for your competition to come out so you can make changes.....you make changes so your competition can finish 2nd....PERIOD.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

As for them doing more.....you dont wait for your competition to come out so you can make changes.....you make changes so your competition can finish 2nd....PERIOD.
That is the only thing I have to disagree with. In many cases, even in this one, you really do not know what the final product is until it is released into the real world.

Can you build something insane to stay ahead? Sure. But cost is also a factor, you would take yourself into a difference "class".

If the Viper stays in production (which I think it will) I predict the reaction will not be until the 10 or 11 model year with everything else going on with new ownership, it will be in the form of a refreshed body and probably a SC.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio
That is the only thing I have to disagree with. In many cases, even in this one, you really do not know what the final product is until it is released into the real world.

Can you build something insane to stay ahead? Sure. But cost is also a factor, you would take yourself into a difference "class".

If the Viper stays in production (which I think it will) I predict the reaction will not be until the 10 or 11 model year with everything else going on with new ownership, it will be in the form of a refreshed body and probably a SC.
What I was trying to point out was that you dont build a performance version of a car, only to wait for your competitor's version.... you build to be badass from day one....

I still agree with what you said though, it's merely that you dont build an "average" high end car.....

Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I doubt Dodge is going to do anything to about Corvette being faster. It's probably going to be that way for a while. I also think the Viper should have been more impressive. GM did a great job by doing all of that and keeping the cost down.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Importkillaz
Rookie

I agree that the ACR should be a ZR1 killer to begin with. Never brace yourself for someone else's punch. The ACR should be the one throwing punches. Also the Z06 is going to get a hp increase soon to.

Quick Reply: 08 Viper ACR numbers are in