Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

94 viper coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 PM
kratefreak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 94 viper coolant leak?

I just bought a 94 viper & its got a coolant leak at the rear of the engine on the pass side anybody seen this before?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it happen when the block is cracked. VERY BAD. If it was in the front we can go all over with hoses, radiator, clamps, etc. If the leak is at the rear though. It can't be good. I would get that checked ASAP.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:38 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Two possibles...

1. Bad head gasket (that would suck from a cost and difficulty standpoint). Early GEN I engines are known for this.
2. Thermostat housing.

If it is the T-Stat housing you would be able to see coolant laying under your intake in between your runners.

The T-Stat is a much better issue, although still a chore. The windshield cowl and intake has to come off to get to it. I did it when I had my 94.

If it is the headgasket you would probably see some coolant in your oil. Do an oil change and see if any coolant is floating in there.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 11-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
04LS6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would even just get it on the hoist to remove the under panel to troubleshoot before purchasing anything. That's one problem with having this type of car and having it all paneled in for aeros.

Quick Reply: 94 viper coolant leak?