V10 Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuner came in yesterday and initial impressions are very positive.

My truck ran well but seemed down on power at times, also the trans would act up. Lazy shifting and from time to time would drag out the 1-2 or 2-3 shift points. All that is gone.

I just filled with 87 octane on friday so I started with the 87 tune and the difference was obvious from the start. Engine seemed crisper and pulls better with nice shifts. Power is smooth and linear all the way to redline.

Tried the 91 tune next. I think this will be my favorite. Felt like more torque was available. Truck just pulled better off the line and felt like it wanted to run, but anything over 2500rpm would cause it to ping. So next tank will be better octane and we'll try again.

I can't wait to swap over to 4.10's

Didn't even bother with the 93 tune. No need to yet. Next weekend I'll be tuning it up, doing brakes and other things. I'll retry the 91 and see what the 93 does.

FWIW.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:13 PM
RamToughV10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing how much is there by simply playing around with fuel and timing trims, isn't it (and losing tq management)?

I'm running the 93 octane tune in mine full time. I figured at ~$90.00 a tank, what difference is an extra ~$6.00?

With the 4.10's, along with the tuner I feel the truck runs the way it should have from the start. I even picked up a mpg or two (generally getting 10.5 around town, 12-12.5 on the highway). When you get 'em installed, let us know what you think of the overall package.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

I picked up my 96 v10 4x4 last year for $1250 from a guy going through a divorce. Since then I've completely changed the truck. It's gone from white/grey to a dark grey color with pearl blue ghost flames. No more chrome bumpers. I went with a 99+ sport front bumper/grille and a painted rear bumper. POR-15 painted the frame. Got some aftermarket headlights, 3rd brake light, and cab lights, and color matched my tail lights. Threw on some Hummer H2 wheels with 315/75/17 tires. New Bilstein shocks all around. Fully built trans with the PATC Mega Viper Stage 3 setup. Derale deep trans pan. New universals on the driveshafts. New trans cooler lines. New oil pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs. I had the intake manifolds and valve covers powder coated satin black. Installed some shorty headers and custom made a dual 2.5" exhaust with dual cats and an x-pipe. Put in a C.R. Lawrence sliding rear window with new windshield as well. New door moldings. Some power heated seats from an 05 Crossfire. New black carpet. Now I'm looking for the rest of the interior to be grey. I found a V10 parts truck with a grey interior that I may snag up. Oh, I also just threw in a new fuel pump assembly because it started to stutter out of the blue.

Next is some 4.56 gears but I just read here that I need a different carrier? I hope that isn't the case. I just picked up some Motive 4.56 gears and install kits for it. I have a 2 car hauler, so it will see some 10,000+ lb loads and I don't want any issues towing them.

Also, I'm going to make an intake for it and make my own custom tune using the SCT tuner. I'm going that route because, with the parts truck, I plan on building that engine up and possibly remote turbo'ing that setup.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Hans_GZP; 09-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the difference in price over $90 to $100 is worth it.

Nice truck Hans. The difference is amazing. Show us the interior too. How much lift for the 315's?

Wait, you have a parts truck with a V10? Wanna sell the air box cover?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

I'm not even sure there is a lift kit on it. Maybe a leveling kit. I haven't added anything to the suspension besides the new Bilsteins.

There is a V10 going through the salvage auction next week. I'm thinking about picking it up for my grey interior pieces and some spare drivetrain parts. If I get it, I'll consider the air box sold to ya.... or if the intake I make gets rid of it, it's yours.

And thanks . My one customer saw my truck and he has a dark grey 3rd gen Ram 2500. He had pearl blue ghost flames done on his as well.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
RamToughV10

Originally Posted by Hans_GZP
Next is some 4.56 gears but I just read here that I need a different carrier? I hope that isn't the case. I just picked up some Motive 4.56 gears and install kits for it. I have a 2 car hauler, so it will see some 10,000+ lb loads and I don't want any issues towing them.
First of all, great looking truck - nice work!

As far as the gears go, if you have 3.55's stock, you will need new carriers for the 4.56's. If your truck came with 4.10's, you'll be fine.

I've done extensive towing with my truck through terrain most folks wouldn't dead-head through, as well as lots of slab towing. I had a 40 ft trailer that weighted roughly 12,500 lbs, and a work trailer that I towed into the mountains in SWV, SE KY for work. With the tuner, 4.10 gears and 315/75 16's, I had no problems whatsoever.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

Well, crap. I guess I'm searching for a new carrier. This should be fun to find.

The truck is mainly setup for towing, so the 4.56 gears is what looked to be paired up perfect with my tire size. I guess if I don't like them, I can always swap to a 4.10 gear setup later LOL.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
99 V-10

How do I join this. I guess i'm one of the few that own a V-10 as well.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
jshaw214

Hey guys I feel bad that I will no longer be apart of your club since I am pulling the v10 and putting in a cummins for my mud truck project . I liked being a part of the club becausr this is a very rare truck . I am getting rid of all electronics , engine and engine components . Let me know if your interested . I am also looking to trade my 3.54's for 4.10's up to the mid six range .

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

Apparently there are only 6 carriers left for 4.56 and higher gears left as they have discontinued that piece. So, if you are going to do the gear swap, you better get a carrier now. I also ordered up new clutches for the rear LSD so hopefully it actually slips while going around turns.

Quick Reply: V10 Club