V10 Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There really are very few parts for upgrades out there for the V-10's, at least the Iron Block v-10's like ours.

I really don't want to run 93 octane for the cost here in Utah, as well as we really don't have it. We have 85, 87, and 91 octane available. I really want to try it first to see how she acts before continuing to pour cash at a problem that could actually be a worn out motor issue.

Another note;

I towed my trailer up the canyon and it weighs in at 9,000 lbs, truck weighs in at 7000 lbs, as well as my 4 wheeler in the truck (maybe 500 lbs or so) and climbed Fairview Canyon which is about an 8 mile climb with tight 15 MPH corners at 8-12% Grade with max speed limits around 45 mph where you can, and 2nd gear lagging was all I could do at 1/2 to full throttle depending on the grade and spot. Of course I'm cutting corners at 15 MPH and loosing momentum of course. Outside temp was about 75-80 so she heated up and had the fan lock up twice to cool her down. Sometimes I had to really stomp on it in first to get any speed out of the climb.

Now I don't think I have a "Death Flash" and there is no flash sticker on my PCM. The only "Death Flash" I know is on the 5.9L magnum and 5.2L magnum engine. What exactly are you talking about when you say "Death Flash"?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, don't throw cash at something when you're not sure.

On the core support of my truck is a square decal with the Chrysler pentagram on it. It has a part number, dealer code, and date, 8-31-01 (truck has an 11-00 birth date). Along the bottom it says "Authorized software update". There's also a small newer decal over laying the big factory decal on the pcm where the part number is.

The original owner must have been having ping issues or something along those lines and the dealer did the dealer thing and flashed it rather than try fix the actual problem.

If you don't have those decals you must have the original tune in your pcm.

My truck was a slug until I flashed it. Even the first tune I put on, the 87, made a big difference. We have 87, 91 and 93 out this way, and I don't drive a lot of milesduring the week with it so the 93 isn't killing my wallet yet.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 AM
1livelyrig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey randy becker, my v10 is doing the same thing with the abs and brake light on. if you figure it out let me know please.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds good. I don't have any stickers and I will go out and look at the PCM a little more and see if I can see anything else.

Usually the ABS and brake light is a bad sensor. I would replace the transmission output sensor on the drivers side rear of trans (overdrive housing) and replace the ABS speed sensor on the top of the rear differential. Replace both as they are on the same circuit and take each other out. If it goes further then that I would take it to a dealer and have the ABS CAB read to see what the issue is. The sensors are usually the problem tho.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM
mellimac
Default 100th V10 Member!!!

I must win a prize?

Glad to find a forum specific to v10's. I use Big Blue to haul my Bobcat (331D mini-ex) around and a dump trailer. I haul very short distances, so I'll likely keep him stock...but ya never know. I'm your atypical v10 owner, as I've never owned a brute like him. Gas costs are a serious issue up here in the north, so I use him sparingly.
I will say that when I need a pick-me-up, I take him for a twirl down a country road, logging road, goat trail....I feel all warm inside just thinking about it...lol
cheers, melli
ps - I did change the rear differential (75w-140 syn) and transfer case oil today, and what a difference that made...I thought I got a well maintained truck...FWIW - I got the truck from the feds through an auction.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
mellimac
Default Big Blue

My baby has come home...

Attached Thumbnails V10 Club-apdc0586-small-.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
mellimac
Default Towing

I have my own board...
So, today I decide to check out my newish dump trailer and get a load of fill for a small job. The guy takes a scoop from the pile at the gravel pit (loader's bucket is a parking space), and dumps it into the trailer. It didn't seem like much in the 15' box. On the weigh scales, I get a shock. 5.4 tonnes (10800lbs)! oops. Not much I could do as it was closing time. Since the trailer weighs 4500lbs, I am sitting at 15300lbs. Factor in the tools in the box of the truck, I am close to 16000lbs, a tad over the 12600lbs max towing capacity...

Off I go...I should mention I live in the coast mountain range of BC. With speed I can just make all the hills home, but the delivery location is a steep road i must back up (how steep - muni declined to maintain said road on account of how steep it is). I can barely get the trailer on this steep road before Big Blue says no more. Won't go matter what I do...I am screwed.
I decide I'll go home (very nearby) and dump a ton or two off the back and try again. Back i go. Still won't do it. Now, I've read the v10 manual and it says NOT to use 4x4 low while towing, especially on pavement. I was getting cranky and figured wtf, let's see what happens.

I put it into 4x4 low and it was like I was in a different truck (i was in a different truck, from the bawling it did to get me there). The sucker backed that load (now about 12000lbs) up a seriously steep hill like in idle for pete's sake! Well, maybe I was around 1500rpm, but wow, no sweat at all. I was/still am pissed I never tried that before. I got no tire slipping, as I have in past 4x4's on pavement.

So what's up...In most cases, I don't need the 4x4 low, as I have trailered my Bobcat around (13000lbs) in 2WD, but there are a few steep hills I struggle on...had I known about this Hulkamania when in 4x4 low....

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Girly TT
Veteran

What kind of V10 sale prices are you guys seeing for these trucks?

We seriously love ours (most of the time), but we are contemplating getting into a new 3500 diesel for ease of towing, and some additional towing capacity. I'm just not sure we could get even CLOSE to a reasonable price for our truck though

Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM
mellimac
Default Rear End binding only in turns

When I turn, I can feel the rear end bind, but when driving straight no binding. Of course, this started after I added syn 75W-140 at $16 a litre (quart).
I assumed I had a plain rear end, with no LSD etc., as the wheels turned in opposite direction when jacked up. Maybe I am confused about that...
Lastly, I read the 2500 and up trucks don't have clutch plate LSD, hence no need for friction modifiers?

The tag on my rear end reads:
52069469AH
3 54 606267 (assume first part is gear ratio)

The stamp on case says Dana with this below:
46293 2
220 0
Rev D
09 07 95

Appreciate any help....

Last edited by mellimac; 05-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
mellimac
Default re: Rear End binding only in turns

Well, go figure...the super duper syn Lucas 75/140 has no friction modifiers...another $12 for a tube of LSD lube, and voila, no binding...maybe just a little, but in my book, it is fixed.
I should have stuck with the cheap 75/90 lube, as I noticed it has the additive (friction modifier) for LSD (said so on the container)...

Quick Reply: V10 Club