V10 Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have more money then I got........LMFAO!

I wouldn't pay $10 a plug for 10 cylinders for a hopeful outcome.

Anyway, just bought a new Magnaflow performance muffler (part # 12587), on my exhaust should bolt right up to the 2 CAT's so it will be installed in reverse. I plan on doing a 3.5" single tail pipe but for now I will just shim back down to the OEM 3". I also am going to gut the CAT's while I have the muffler off because I don't have after CAT O2 sensors. So I will let ya'll know the outcome. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12587

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-24-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Muffler Part Number
Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
BGFT16W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hydrashocker, MSD no longer make those wires, so, I'm looking at the Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires from Summitracing.com. 84673 blue for $62.95, 84273 red for $72.95. Also the Champion E434 copper Plus plugs, $1.75ea. Thing is, I don't no nuthin bout them wires, ya'll have any thoughts on em?? I aint ordered them yet, but, am thinkin bout it, thought I'd see ifn ya'll had any feedback.....

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Just went to MSD's web site and they say they are still making them. Part number 32299

Went to www.summitracing.com and found them no problem $119.95: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32259/

Anyway, I looked into them http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products...thunderSleeved and they advertize only 40ohms/foot so they LOOK good, but I would rather stay with something that's proven. Here is more information, but I don't listen to this and that if you know what I mean, I like what I like. http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM
BGFT16W

Ok, I just talked to a sales rep at summit about the wires you suggested, he said he could not garrentee that these wires would fit my application. Did you use the 32299 wires, or did you use the 32259 wires?? He said they might work as is, or they might not.... The response I got from msd was that they no longer are making the 32299 wires, and had no plans for a replacement set. before I spend $120 on a

maybe, I want to be sure. He also said the taylor wires were just as good as the msd's. lol....

Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I have used them but hey, like I said, the Taylor wires look better so I would say go ahead and try em! It's gunna save ya a few bucks and look just as good.

It's my personal opinion that MSD makes great products and stands by em. I've never been on the side of the road from MSD and have trusted them for years, but each to their own......IMHO

Anyway, as an update to my muffler, the muffler was the wrong one! On my truck I don't have after CAT O2 sensors. I have a single 2 1/4" exhaust down pipes that run all the way down past the Transfer Case. The OEM CAT's are 2 1/4" in and out! Anyway the CAT's are side by side and enter the OEM muffler as a dual in 2 1/4" and a single center 3" out going to the tail pipe.

The muffler I bought was a 2 1/2 dual in and a 3 1/2" single center out. This was the wrong muffler! Magnaflow does not make the correct direct replacement muffler for this set up, however I made it work........LMFAO

What I did was cut between the CAT and the muffler right on the clamp/hanger. I cut each outside off the hanger so just the inside bolt hole on the hanger remained. I then got a 2 1/4" ID X 2 1/2 OD coupler and smashed it into the muffler end to make it work then cut 1/2 of each end off to make a perfect fit. It took a Big Fu$king Hammer (BFH) and a sawzall, added a 2 1/4 clamp and a 2 1/2 clamp on each side to make it work. What I should have done is ordered or had made (shop wasn't open) a 2 1/4" ID X 2 1/2" ID coupler and it would have bolted straight in.

On the back side, the tail pipe was actually 3" and the was muffler 3 1/2", this I found out was a great combination! The internal is a straight through design (which is the best...IMHO) and combines together into a 3 1/2" outlet, but internally the Y pipe is made! They did the best job by offsetting the top to bottom weld to create a cyclone type junction!

Anyway, I simply had a muffler shop weld me up a coupler from muffler side 3 1/2" ID to a 3" OD to slip over the old system with a total length of about 8". Now just a heads up, 3 1/2" exhaust is a b!tch to find! Nobody bends it/has it and nobody cares! You are better going to a 4" exhaust!

Anyway, I gutted the CAT's and hooked it all up, all I can say is I'm happy with throttle response and power, with no CEL's.....LOL

Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

did that take care of the 50mph+ accel problem?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Haven't really opened it up on the freeway yet but, when I turn the wheels and stomp on it she breaks loose! The CAT on the drivers side was broken (being the one that was rattling) but the other side was fine. They weren't very dirty or plugged but you could see about 1/3 blockage. I still have the air pump hooked up so I need to disconnect it or gut it.

You can defiantly feel a difference! But I was still thinking I should be feeling a lot more ya know. I think maybe next year I might pull the motor out, bore it .030 over, install a larger cam, smooth the heads, possible flat top pistons, and put her back together.

The truck does stink like an older truck but not very much. I think I still need to replace the O2 sensors and most like will with Denso. I did burn the old O2 sensors with a propane torch till red but I would assume the inner filter could be plugged.

Anyway, I can't wait to hook the truck up to the trailer and see how she does. I might need to take some more video.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well, I opened her up and the lag looks to have stopped. She is pulling like the other videos I've seen. Now I just gotta get some type of true CAI / Ram Air Intake system set up for my next project.

I haven't towed yet and with gas prices where they are, I might not this year......LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 12:10 AM
penski61
Rookie

anyone got a pic of the true CAI? i cant picture how it would work as a CAI with the limited amount of space
i also have a v10 2wd havent done much to it aftermarket wise , put new ball joints upper and lower, rotors, bearings
swapped out the rear axle from 3.55 to 4.10 lsd and put tow mirrors on

Last edited by penski61; 05-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
penski61
Rookie

nm dont need the pics anymore i got it figured out
went to autzone and bought a spectre filter cut the end of the stock plastic intake off behind the headlight and installed the filter
had to relocate and extend the wires for the cruise control module but the filter only cost $30 and made a noticeable difference

Quick Reply: V10 Club