General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Charging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 AM
bwirth1999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Problem

Ok I have a strange problem. 2004 Neon.

First off I have replaced my alternator 2x. Still have the same problem, the charging dummy light comes on. We made a jumper wire lastnight and took it from the alternator to the battery, skipping the starter all together, and we found something strange. The alternator puts out power for 3 seconds, and then the charging light comes on and the alternator stops putting out power. It appears that at over 2000 rpm, the alternator puts out power every 10th of a second or so, because the interior lights and gagues blink and shudder very quickly. We hook it up to another battery and car runs fine, but obviously still doesnt charge. Sometimes we got it to throw a spark from the wire after 3 seconds... Whats really funny is, when I turn on the A/C the blinking lights and gauge shudder stop as if it's saying oh now i am getting enough power, but the alternator dummy light is still on....

We are thinking a computer problem. Maybe it's not sending a proper signal to the alternator to start charging..

Any help???

Also the car gets horrible gas milage, has poor power and blows it's hi beam fuse everydday...

Quick Reply: Charging Problem