General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Testing a Crank Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Snafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing a Crank Position Sensor?

Was wondering if anyone knows of any way to test a crank position sensor? I'm 99% sure that's what's wrong with my Monte Carlo, would just like to make absolutely sure before I drop the $80 on it, and it looks like a pain in the *** to change. I know, it's a Chevy, but they should all be similar.

My knee went out last night, and clutching the truck SUCKED this morning. I need to get the car going. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:37 AM
aberhammer
Default RE: Testing a Crank Position Sensor?

easiest way is thiw. turn key on,remove ckp sensor from its location . Touch a screwdriver at the end of it, then remove the screwdriver several times. If it works, then you will hear the asd relay click on and off.Easiest way I have ever found

Old 02-12-2005, 03:22 AM
P.B.
Rookie
Default RE: Testing a Crank Position Sensor?

Most gm sensors are mounted on the engine block near the harmonic balancer. Don't know what size motor you have, but I have changed a crap load of them on GM's. The worst part is lining the new one up. GM has an adjustment on them. It is crutial to lign it up close. If it does run off of the balancer, what you want to do is look at the balancer backing. There is going to be metal bands that go through the sensor. When you put the balancer back on, make sure that it is at a part where both bands are going to be passing through the sensor. Here is the ****ty part. The sensor is going to keep pulling to the bands from the magnet. If it is not lined up properly, when you start the car, you will hear the sensor hitting the break in the bands. GM used a two and a three wire sensor. This will determine if you bave two bands or one band on the back of the balancer.

Quick Reply: Testing a Crank Position Sensor?