General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oxygen Sensor Location?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
rpowers301
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Location?

I am far from a mechanic, but I am going to attempt to change my oxygen sensor. My Dodge has been getting poor gas mileage and missing while idling expecially. I hooked it up to a scanner and found that I need to replace my upstream oxygen sensor. I purchased one at Advance Auto.

I own a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.9 360.

Can someone give me the location of both oxygen sensors? And describe which one is which? Am I going to have to take the manifold off?

Also, my catlytic converter has been rodded out. Is this going to affect the performance of the oxygen sensor?

Now that I am posting. I may as well ask one more question:

The scanner also told me that I need to replace an ABS sensor. However, it didnt' say which one. Does this truck have 4 or just two in the front? And where exactly are they and how hard are they to replace?

Thanks in Advance for your Help.

Ron in Powhattan, VA

Old 02-12-2005, 01:38 AM
justaocboy
Default RE: Oxygen Sensor Location?

ok,your upstream 02 sensor is before the cat,your downstream 02 sensor is after your cat.
yes your cat beeing rodded does make a difference the 2 02 sensor compare readings to tell how much the cat is working.
what sensor does the scanner say?you probably have rwal abs (rear wheel anti lock).
02s are simple to do just get out the creeper!

Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM
P.B.
Rookie

The scan should have said bank one or bank two oxygen sensor. Bank one is before the cat. It is usualy located on the manifold or downpipe. Bank two is located after the cat. Usualy within a couple of feet. You can pick up an oxygen sensor socke at your local parts store for about 10$. I would recomend changing your cat and having the codes erased from the computor first. If the codes come back then you will need to change the sensor(s). I don't know if you have an Auto Zone parts store around you, but they will scan computors and erase codes for free.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:35 AM
justaocboy

actually bank one is cylinders 1,3,5,7 bank two is 2,4,6,8 only on dodge v8, and on v6,
it changes on v6.
upstream is before cat,downstream is after cat
example code 2/1 (right side upstream)
the bank is determined by what side the #1 cylinder is on

Old 02-12-2005, 10:34 AM
P.B.
Rookie

ORIGINAL: justaocboy

actually bank one is cylinders 1,3,5,7 bank two is 2,4,6,8 only on dodge v8, and on v6,
it changes on v6.
upstream is before cat,downstream is after cat
example code 2/1 (right side upstream)
the bank is determined by what side the #1 cylinder is on
I didn't know that. When I had a GMC Jimmy scanned the codes came up as bank one and bank two. It is a single exhaust. One sensor is before the cat and one is after the cat. It was told to me that bank one is pre cat.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:58 AM
eL Dude

I recommend getting a manual (Haynes, Chilton's, etc). It'll not only tell you, but show you, where these are. We're only talking ~$20.

Bank 1 is the passenger side.

The O2's are usually between the exaust manifold and the pipe(s), with the cats.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:33 AM
justaocboy

ok ,last time ,i am a dodge master tech and on your truck bank one is on the driver side.
the bank on any vehicle is based on what side cylinder#1 is on.thats bank one!as you were saying 2/1 is for a 2 02 system 1/1 up 2/2
dowmstream,all the new has 2 up stream and 2 down stream(1/1 left side upstream,2/2 right sde down stream)
on the lh car bank one is on the right side,cylinder #1,bank #1(right side upstream 1/1)
any Q,s please pm me!,please pm me i will give you my phone #
just want to help!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
dadsdodgetruck

Similar problem, different question, i do not have access to a mechanic close enough to check the sensors.. however I read about the codes and flashing check engine light.. can one find the information about oxygen sensors, and other sensors responsible for fuel consumption? I have a 1991 dodge ram PU, 250, 5.9 4WD. Auto, really clean, well maintained. But it gets 7.5 mpg.. ouch... plugs are nice color, uses no oil. great power, check engine light is not on... I'm new to Dodge trucks, just inherited this one from dad..

[X(][X(][X(]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Location?