General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

will 2.5 head work on 2.2 motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Lazurus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will 2.5 head work on 2.2 motor

Evenig folks - got myself in a bit of a pickle here - and am hoping someone can tell me if i am thinking right or wrong

cracked head on my 86 2.2 turbo Daytona - so i went to the boneyard and got another - but it had bad cam bearings - so went back and sifted thru 3 more till we ran out of 2.2 heads

to that end - we got speculative - and pulled a TBI head off a 93 2.5 - all the holes line up - but i know i was told that to do with the TBI from the 2.2 - i needed to swap the exaust valves and springs from the turbo head to the TBI head

so - the big question is - stepping this many years away from 86 - am i still going to have to change valves - or is there any other reason anyone knows of why this idea will not work

let me know soonest ppl - as i am ready to start trying to make this work if we can - as my daily driver (89 3.0L in a Voyager) dumped its timing belt Fri afternoon and left me with only shoe leather to motivate with

Old 06-03-2005, 01:54 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: will 2.5 head work on 2.2 motor

The head will work, but you have to change the valves.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Lazurus

TY Todd - will do that strait away tonight - then load the new head on top of the block and try to get it road ready - so i can debug it before Mon when i go back to work

then i can try to get the van running - and then put both of them on the sale line - got to try to recoup some losses - and i would realy not hand someone else my headaches

Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need some help with this stuff, you can PM t2turbo600 about it. He's the man IMO with this turbo mopar thing. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Turbobearcat
Professional

Well here are things you need to know...

A 2.2 and 2.5L heads are the same.. Exc TBI valves needs to be changed out with the turbo valves and the springs as well
since the springs are designed for higher loads and the valves for high tempatures.

Also stick with the TBI cam! it has a higher lift than the turbo cam.. this is an old Turbo-Dodge trick for a slightly better cam. :-)

The head gaskets should be fine, make sure you drill a hole in the gasket near the front corner for the cooling passage to get
that last bit of cooling for the cyl. Outside of that you should be fine..

Any other questions feel free to tap me..

Bearcat

Quick Reply: will 2.5 head work on 2.2 motor