General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Viper Engine Swap

Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 PM
danman831
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Viper Engine Swap

Hey guys hows it goin? I have a project that I want to start working on but I need a little bit of help and feed back. I have this '79 El Camino (I know its a Chevy) that I want to do an engine swap on but the thing is I don't want to put a Chevy engine in it cuz that's what everyone does. So what I need help on is, what would I need to do, change, or modify to install a 2004 Dodge Viper engine and Transmission into my car? I am open to any suggestions. I know that this is pretty random of an engine to put into this car but I just want something different, make people be like "what!?", and overall to make it into a mean muscle car. So if you can please leave a message and thank you for your help.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

That may be difficult. You could possibly buy a ram srt-10 engine out of the truck but you gotta be willing to pay some good cash. If you wanted it from a real viper, then.... that will be a tough find. But, do some research don't just take my word for it. You'd also probably need to make some modifications to the body for it to fit just right. I'd honestly recommend using a gm motor, unless you have a lot of money to spend.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
danman831

I found a decent engine w/ trans from a 2004 viper for 10,000. Modifications is the main thing I have to worry about but its all good. I just want to make a one of a kind car that will by a show stopper. GM engines are cool and all but I want to take it to the next level. I have never seen a V-10 Viper engine in any Chevy car, so hopefully ill be the first. Hopefully once I start working on it and have it completed, I'll start posting some pictures up. Thanks for the input though. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions for my project.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We swapped a viper motor/trans into a bentley ... yes anything can be done with a huge amount of labor/time/troubleshooting

you mention the motor and trans for $10K the REAL stuff you need is the computers/harnesses and sensurs to get it to work. we bought a rolling chassis from viperwrecks and parted out the suspension/seats ect and kept the rest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Viper Engine Swap