General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Kind of a tricky one

Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of a tricky one

I drive my strat alone 99% of the time, from work, school, and back. At highish speeds (60+) I can hear small air leaks in the cabin with all the windows closed and doors shut securely. Of course, I can not identify the exact locations of these leaks since I'm busy driving. It was pouring outside today and I sat in the car while the rain fell, but there were no leaks that I could see. Any suggestions on how to find/correct this?

Old 09-15-2005, 03:35 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Kind of a tricky one

It is most likely caused by the cabin gettin presurized while you are driving. There really is not much you can do about it, The presure pushes out on the windows and you hear wind noise.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:17 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

hmm, never thought about that. I guess I was hoping I could make a 10 year old stratus sound like a lincoln town car. lol

Old 09-15-2005, 04:44 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: PARoadRunner

hmm, never thought about that. I guess I was hoping I could make a 10 year old stratus sound like a lincoln town car. lol
LOL, not gonna happen though

Old 09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

yea, i know, as long as its not something thats messed up with the car I wont worry about it.

Heres another question though: Has anyone tried to record the engine compartment as they drive, just so they can get a better idea of slight noises coming from the front-end? I was thinking of putting a small digital recorder temporarily inside the bumper or somewhere away from the heat, just so I can have a better idea of what it sounds like while driving.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM
skyshark

Start with the door seals. Try using baby powder on the seal, close the door and look at the residue left on the door. It should be equal all the way around. If not replace the seal. Just a cheap easy way to start. hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:01 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

yea i was thinking of using some kind of powder, but then i thought that it would end up all over the inside of the car and that would be a pain. What I do to remedy the situation is just turn the speakers up. I never knew how cool a CD player could be till now...

Old 09-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Or you could drill a couple of holes in the floor to let the pressure out, not to big now.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

haha, ok. well i actually think I found the leak, its kind of strange. I feel air flowing from the power window *****. Its a tiny bit of air, but somehow its coming through. Theres also a little bit coming from a gap where the rubber door seal was partially ripped off. Doesnt really bother me anymore, only happens at speeds over 80 or so...

Old 09-25-2005, 04:03 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Treat the rubber seals with some Armor-All. The seals will soak that stuff up and regain some of thier original shape back, allowing for better sealing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kind of a tricky one