General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car drives in 1st gear, then loses gear and power, have to turn key on and off to go.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:21 PM
XeoNoX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car drives in 1st gear, then loses gear and power, have to turn key on and off to go.

I have a 95 intrepid with a 3.3L engine for about 4 years, i did a long trip and accidently triggered the governor for the 1st time on the highway desert doing 120mph, the car drove fine for another 150 miles then i parked the car for 2 days. When getting ready to come back from my trip from vegas, i noticed the car didnt have much power, then i tried to get the the highway and all of a sudden my tranny got stuck in 1st. I quickly pull off freeway and check the tranny level, it was fine, it was HOT and was on FULL. I drove it to my friends house in 1st gear going 15mph for about 10 minutes at 2,000 RPMs. On the way there i lost 1st gear a couple of times and i notced all i had to do was turn the car off and back on and i would catch 1st gear again.
I ran more tests on the car and would just hit the gas and get the car to go to about 35-40mph then i would throw it in neutral, turn off the car, and turn it back on then i noticed the car would catch 3rd or 4th gear. I read up a little and then changed BOTH speed sensors, and i disconnected the battery for about 45 minutes, but it did not work. Ive also changed the ignition switch about 3 months ago. Does anyone have any other ideas, after reseting the battery i lost all my codes if i even had any. Im pretty sure its electical and not a blown tranny. Any ideas would be helpful, i had to leave my car behind and pick it up in a couple weeks when i get the money. But if i can get it going myself i will drive it back.

Quick Reply: Car drives in 1st gear, then loses gear and power, have to turn key on and off to go.