1. For a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is the fuel filter seperate or made connected to the fuel pump?
2. What is a reasonable price for a new one?
3. Could it be any other problem other than fuel filter/pump, etc?
4. How do I change out without dropping the tank?
1. The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly.
2. They run around $200. www.makeitmopar.com
had the cheapest pump in my case at a shade under $200, but I got mine from the local parts store.
3. It could possibly be a problem. Have you checked your fuel pressure? Pumps are known to cause problems when they're weak and you go below half a tank...or if you run them dry.
4. Dropping the tank IS
the easiest way to change the pump. Some pull the bed. I've done it both ways, and pulling the bed ONLY works if you have a large hoist and a short bed truck. Otherwise it gets to be too much of a hassle. There is a write-up for dropping the tank here: http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_402587/tm.htm
It's not as scary as anyone makes it out to be