Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hemi Performance Seriously Degraded!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Grizz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Performance Seriously Degraded!!!

Ok, here's my problem....

Is it possible for an engine to loose performance by upgrading to a air intake and re-programming the computer with a Superchips Microtuner but leaving the exhaust stock???In order to wake up my 03 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with a 5.7 Hemi, and to assist with towing my trailer, I installed an AirRaid intake kit and re-programmed the computer using a Superchips Microtuner.

Excited to see what $800.00 in upgrades bought, I decided to go for a drive both with and without the trailer. I noticed afair difference in throttle response and the engine definitely ran smoother but there was not allot of gain in thepower department.

Next on to the test tow with the Travel Trailer, a 2003 Coachman 26RBS with a GVWR of ~8.8K or ~6.2K dry.Basically, I was extremely disappointed to say the least!!!The truckactually pulled worse after the upgrades than when it was stock!! It was a serious struggle to keep above 90 km/ph and was next to impossible to go the posted speed limit of 100 km/ph.

Now I understand I am not going to win any races however a 2500 Hemi should be able to handle this trailer significantly better than it is right nowas itdid when it was stock. Any suggestions????

Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
chubyboy
Default RE: Hemi Performance Seriously Degraded!!!

i dont know too much about programming them but to my knowledge you usually dont program after adding an intake. as another theory, did u maybe program it for fuel economy?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Flash_Gordon2392
Rookie

[sm=confused06.gif]I am lost at words,you my want to take it to the dealer and have them check it out.But if you know someone who can check out for you on the side,do it!Save you some cash big time[sm=deal.gif]!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 AM
98R/TDak
Professional

yea that doesnt sound right when pulling the trailer but just with a "CAI" and reprogramming it you wont notice any power gains really..you need to do exhaust and other small bolt ons to notice some power gains

Quick Reply: Hemi Performance Seriously Degraded!!!