Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

WK exhaust/engine tapping noise

Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
JakeNBake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WK exhaust/engine tapping noise

2008 Overland-Hemi
Has anyone ever heard of a tapping noise coming from engine exhaust area during acceleration? It kinda sounds like a diesel it's so loud.

Took it into one dearlership and they heard what I was talking about so they flashed PCM (TSB 18-003-08). I looked it up and it said Engine Oil Pressure Too Low. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem and another dealership said it's normal. Some lame excuse about aggresive cam timing.

My private mechanic heard it and said possible exhaust leak or injector/valve train solinoids but required more tear down to isolate. The only other clue is the problem gets louder when MDS or cylinder deactivation kicks in.

I'd appreciate any ideas as it's still under warranty and I'd like to get it resolved.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm thinking that what you are hearing is that famous "Hemi Tick", mine has had it since it was new, 5 years ago. Runs perfectly fine to date...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 AM
JakeNBake
Default WK exhaust/engine tapping noise

I don't think we're talking about a tick. It's a much louder tapping noise. Diesels don't tick they tap. There's a slight, I mean very slight engine tick but that ain't it.

Like I stated, it sounds like from the engine exhaust area. It gets especially louder when MDS kicks in and you can definately hear it sounding like a tank when driving along side a curb or wall as the sound carries from the undercarriage.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
JoeV10
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quote me on this as I am a Commander owner, but I believe that there is a TSB out on the Hemi about exhaust leaks. I know there have been several cases in the Commander of cracked manifolds and broken studs. I have the Hemi in mine and it does tick a little and the Charger I had before it ticked very loudly so it may just be the engine but i'd check that out. Here is the link to a forum with this issue. http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...?t=2856&page=8

Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Completely different motor, but my 4.0 in my wrangler would tick all day long. Warm, cold, snow, heat wave, anything. It ran flawlessly for the 60,000 miles I had on it. I even had the mechanic at the dealership check it out when I test drive it. He said it was completely normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WK exhaust/engine tapping noise