Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

46rh transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
IsraelR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46rh transmission woes

I've got a 95 grand cherokee with the v8 in it, which I believe means I have a 46rh transmission. The jeep has been down for about a year and a half while I swapped axles and built a new suspension for it at a snail's pace. After driving it a couple weeks, I noticed that when starting out in first gear, it would feel normal for about 30', slip completely as if I had thrown it in neutral, then grab again. If I'm not paying attention and allow the motor to rev up a bit when it's slipping, it will grab hard enough to chirp the tires.

I don't think it's the bands or clutches since when it's slipping it literally has no forward power and when it grabs again, it feels solid. My guess is the time it spent down caused the solenoids or some other valve type thing to start sticking.

If that's the case, would a fluid and filter change possibly fix it? I've been thinking of a shift kit like the transgo one. Maybe that would help?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Generally solenoids or electrical issues do not cause this kind of neutralizing condition, but low fluid does.....first thing to do is check fluid level in neutral position...Park will not check correctly....

Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
IsraelR

I've checked the fluid twice since this started, but I checked it in park. I'll check it tonight the right way. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

How was the transmission shifting before you started all the repairs? The 46RH does have a governor body and valves that will stick. You may want to drop the pan and inspect for debris and check the band adjustments.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
IsraelR

Well, I checked the fluid last night and it was a quart low. The instructions I was going by originally said to bring the tranny up to operating temperature, row through the gears and check the level in park or neutral. Obviously, neutral is the way to go. It's shifting normally again for now, but I still bought a filter and fluid since its been a little while since it was changed.

I'm looking for a bung kit I can add to the pan to make emptying the pan easier in the future, then I'll change the filter and check the bands. While I'm in there, is there a way to check if the governor is sticking?

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
IsraelR

I forgot to mention that it was shifting fine previously. Occasionally when I first started it, there would be a 2 or 3 second delay getting into drive from park. That was only when I was in a hurry and shifted right after starting it. I normally try to let it idle while I put on my belt and get situated before moving.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
bjr1a
Professional

I am not sure you have the 46RH trans..I would think you have the 46RE..the difference is the governor operation..Find the connector between the shift lever and rear cooling line..if you have a 3 pin, yes it is the 46RH...If it is an 8 pin, then you have the 46RE.....Actually both units have a governor pressure port that you can attach a pressure gauge and get readings..no need to remove pan to inspect the governor circuit....The mechanical governor of the 46RH cannot be seen from pan...

Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
IsraelR

That sounds like a good idea. Where is the pressure port?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 AM
bjr1a
Professional

The port is located at the rear of the transmission case on the passenger side just in front of the extension housing....It is a 1/8 npt plug ...the highest located plug on the right side of case...

Old 10-20-2017, 02:57 AM
85 dodge D150

I have 46rh that i just put in my 85 D150. Do i have to hook up 3pin OD/LU

Quick Reply: 46rh transmission woes