Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

first jeep post

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about the whole issue and from this distance, I'm not sure things are going to work the way I suggested in my previous post. Looking at your first picture, I see a flywheel, and as such, I have more questions:
  • Is that flywheel from the dodge or the jeep? The dodge flywheel probably won't work - the notches cut into it for the crank position sensor are usually different for OBD1 and OBD2.
  • Are the flywheels the same diameter? If both flywheels are the same diameter, there must be a different shape to the oil pan on the jeep engine & you might think about swapping the pans. If the flywheels are different in diameter, the starter won't line up to catch the gearing regardless of what you do to the pan. If you're unsure, take the dodge pan off and fit the starter, then wire the starter directly so that you can see the starter gear spin out and engage on the ring gear.
  • If the flywheel notches are the same between OBD1 & 2, you may be able to swap bell housings so that you have the same fitment to the dodge engine.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Gummer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the jeep flywheel yes. it had to be changed to match the trans
I don't want to pull the engine to get the pan off. so Im going to pull the pan off the old jeep motor and see where the pump is. the only option I have right now is to tap the pan with a mallet to get clearance if I can.. its just a budget build and I want it done haha.

Not sure if you sent my buddy your cell or not? would make this a lot faster

Last edited by Gummer; 05-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Gummer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhhhhhhhhh . I just thought about this, its NOT the jeep flywheel. jeep TC. that's what I was thinking about. hmm... ill have to do some more looking at things, when I get home.

didn't even think about that.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gummer
ohhhhhhhhhh . I just thought about this, its NOT the jeep flywheel. jeep TC. that's what I was thinking about. hmm... ill have to do some more looking at things, when I get home.

didn't even think about that.
On all the vehicles I've seen, the flywheel is different between OBD generations - physically they should be interchangeable, but the notches that work with the crank position sensor are different (the crank sensor is also different). So if you have the OBD1 (truck) flywheel in the OBD2 configuration, it won't work - the signal stream to the PCM will be wrong and it won't be able to make the right calculations for the spark and fuel injections properly. It might sputter, but not likely that it would come to life.

Since you need to lift the engine to change flywheels, you will be able to either swap the oil pans or remove the truck pan and make the modifications safely (safely for the engine). At this point, if the jeep pan fits, I'd recommend doing that & if it doesn't fit, I'd recommend cutting a section of the pan and welding in a contoured patch that will give you the room you need for starter.

I did send your friend my cell # several days back, I see you sent me a text. I didn't have it with me last night so I sent you a text early this morning, but the explanation I'm giving you here has more detail than I gave in my text.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by guild2wars66
Dakota manis hit the fire wall. currently swapping the manis from the jeep motor to the dodge motor ( remember dodge motor going into jeep) looks like im going to just weld the pipe coming from the egr to the mani closed.
Another option would be to alter the shape of the firewall - a ball peen often works wonders, depending on how much space you need. Check on the cabin side to see if you'd damage anything there.

Quick Reply: first jeep post