Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

opinion needed..

Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM
brandofamily
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion needed..

I'm looking at a 91 Wrangler w/ 4.0 L engine and 5 speed manual trans. 66000 miles. Needs tires and new top as it only HAD a soft top and it rotted sitting in the guys garage unused (supposedly.)
What do you all think it's worth?
Minor paint chips mainly. Looks like some rust starting around windshield frame, and a small spot near driver door. Fair condition I would say, based on Edmund's rating.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 PM
modernmuscle
Amateur

I would agree with the fair condition, I owned a 91 and 95 both of which started rusting around the windshield frame. Another source to use is kelly blue book. I loved my jeeps!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 PM
brandofamily
Rookie

Originally Posted by modernmuscle
I would agree with the fair condition, I owned a 91 and 95 both of which started rusting around the windshield frame. Another source to use is kelly blue book. I loved my jeeps!
Dealer said it's his accountant's vehicle and he was allegedly offered $6500 as a trade in... maybe on paper but not in anyone's reality...

He's asking $5500. I think it's worth $2100.

BTW, KBB would not go back to 1991 vehicles.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A YJ in original configuration that's showing signs of deterioration is not worth the asking price. Once the rust starts on this vehicle type, with so many hidden cavities and body seams, it's not possible to stop it without soicme major work - it took me close to 2 years of work (included sandblasting and welding on the frame and body) to get it all to the point where I was happy painting it. Once you see the rust bubbles around the windshield, doors, behind the fender flares, etc., the rust behind these bubbles has really taken hold. The AX15 transmission is a pretty solid unit (except for the synchromesh), the axles are OK for normal road and highway use but weak for offroading, the 4 liter engine is a gas hog but easy to work on - common oil leaks are from the rear main oil seal (not an easy fix), front oil seal, and valve cover. If you want a vehicle like this, you need a reasonable amount of experience or support (mechanically) and a pocket full of cash.

They're a tough vehicle once reworked and can be a lot of fun. My suggestion, if you want a good base to start from, would be to buy a working YJ from one of the "dry states" like Arizona and then dedicate some garage space, cash, and time to build it into whatever you want. Rust is this vehicles biggest enemy. Look for a good frame - low points, around the PS unit, around spring shackles, tend to rot due to poor drainage.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 AM
brandofamily
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alfons
A YJ in original configuration that's showing signs of deterioration is not worth the asking price. Once the rust starts on this vehicle type, with so many hidden cavities and body seams, it's not possible to stop it without soicme major work - it took me close to 2 years of work (included sandblasting and welding on the frame and body) to get it all to the point where I was happy painting it. Once you see the rust bubbles around the windshield, doors, behind the fender flares, etc., the rust behind these bubbles has really taken hold. The AX15 transmission is a pretty solid unit (except for the synchromesh), the axles are OK for normal road and highway use but weak for offroading, the 4 liter engine is a gas hog but easy to work on - common oil leaks are from the rear main oil seal (not an easy fix), front oil seal, and valve cover. If you want a vehicle like this, you need a reasonable amount of experience or support (mechanically) and a pocket full of cash.

They're a tough vehicle once reworked and can be a lot of fun. My suggestion, if you want a good base to start from, would be to buy a working YJ from one of the "dry states" like Arizona and then dedicate some garage space, cash, and time to build it into whatever you want. Rust is this vehicles biggest enemy. Look for a good frame - low points, around the PS unit, around spring shackles, tend to rot due to poor drainage.
Thanks for input. I talked to them again yest. They are not budging off the price even though it has no top, needs tires and looks like it's riding on the original shocks, just to name a few short comings.
He's hanging his price on the mileage regardless of the other obvious short comings.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brandofamily
Thanks for input. I talked to them again yest. They are not budging off the price even though it has no top, needs tires and looks like it's riding on the original shocks, just to name a few short comings.
He's hanging his price on the mileage regardless of the other obvious short comings.
I'm sure he'll find someone to take on a mega project. Mileage has little to do with the value of a 20 year old vehicle showing rust. If you have the size of budget to buy a vehicle like that, you'll have enough cash to fly to Arizona and buy a clean YJ to drive back. When you return, you can get a stronger rear axle (Ford Explorer 8.8) and a Chev 350. The AX15 and T-case is fine for now but you'd need an adapter to mate the AX15 to the 350 (the AX15 is tough enough to survive the 350 power output and the 350 will actually give you better fuel mileage than the 4.0 which is really hard on gas).

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM
brandofamily
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alfons
I'm sure he'll find someone to take on a mega project. Mileage has little to do with the value of a 20 year old vehicle showing rust. If you have the size of budget to buy a vehicle like that, you'll have enough cash to fly to Arizona and buy a clean YJ to drive back. When you return, you can get a stronger rear axle (Ford Explorer 8.8) and a Chev 350. The AX15 and T-case is fine for now but you'd need an adapter to mate the AX15 to the 350 (the AX15 is tough enough to survive the 350 power output and the 350 will actually give you better fuel mileage than the 4.0 which is really hard on gas).
Funny you mention the 350 swap. They just sold a '91 w/ a Chevy 350 in it for $5900. Another reason I don't think the current offering is worth $5500.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: opinion needed..