Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Backfiring 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dedgar
Installed ScanTool OBDLink SX USB on my laptop and took the WK for a drive yesterday. Got it warmed up nicely and then started the software.
After running down the road for a few miles I stopped and took a look at the laptop.
It is showing 2 codes: P0153 and P0404
P0153- 2/1 Sensor Slow Response - Oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency.
P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Rationality - EGR position sensor signal does not correlate to EGR duty cycle.
Why these are not showing in the PCM and no check engine light is making me wonder about the PCM.
I already have O2 sensors on hand and will be changing them today on a friends lift. I replaced the EGR yesterday after I got home and let it cool down.
Next problem (?), why didn't those codes trip the check engine light and set a code in the Jeep's computer?
dedgar,

I'd suggest taking the vehicle to the dealer now considering you have workable data for them.
Keep us posted on your repairs too if you do them.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 PM
WFLamanIV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that either the right side oxygen sensor is either faulty or there is a hairline crack at the catalytic converter welds/pipe? This can easily cause a high pressure exhaust leak and also throw off the O2 sensor response as well as throw off the flow/duty cycle the egr system. The intermittent nature of the symptom can be attributed to thermal expansion of the exhaust system...

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 PM
dedgar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to update this.
The popping exhaust has stopped. (Hopefully forever.)
After replacing the O2 sensors and the EGR the popping continued. I then used a can of Seafoam Spray through the throttle body per instructions on the can. It seemed to help some so I put another can through the throttle body.
The popping didn't stop altogether but was reduced to whole bunch.
I had a trip planned to visit family the second week of July. I added a can of Seafoam to the gas tank. It popped a little on the first portion of the trip but hasn't popped at all since.
There must have been a carbon buildup that was causing this and the Seafoam got rid of it.
There are other de-carbonization techniques and chemicals but I've used Seafoam before so I went back to it. Seems to have worked. As a preventive measure I'll be adding a can to the gas when I do an oil change. Hopefully it will prevent carbon building up again.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dedgar
Forgot to update this.
The popping exhaust has stopped. (Hopefully forever.)
After replacing the O2 sensors and the EGR the popping continued. I then used a can of Seafoam Spray through the throttle body per instructions on the can. It seemed to help some so I put another can through the throttle body.
The popping didn't stop altogether but was reduced to whole bunch.
I had a trip planned to visit family the second week of July. I added a can of Seafoam to the gas tank. It popped a little on the first portion of the trip but hasn't popped at all since.
There must have been a carbon buildup that was causing this and the Seafoam got rid of it.
There are other de-carbonization techniques and chemicals but I've used Seafoam before so I went back to it. Seems to have worked. As a preventive measure I'll be adding a can to the gas when I do an oil change. Hopefully it will prevent carbon building up again.
dedgar,

Thanks for the update.
Happy to hear things are sorted, great advice for someone else that may have this same issue.

Quick Reply: Backfiring 5.7 hemi