Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

07/01 liberty lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
spun360
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07/01 liberty lots of questions!

i belong to plenty of other forums for which i am grateful! my 96 ram truck is fast, fun, and real reliable. talk to me about jeeps.
can someone give me the short and dirty on a liberty? what are the character faults? i am nailing down a final sale on a 02 with 60k miles on it. if the dealer works with me on a few small things it will be mine before the end of the upcoming week. i have a belt pulley cracked, small grill imperfections and a immaculate interior! no real problems jump out at me. no fluid leaks. clear coat is in OK condition, tires are new. what are the common problems with these vehicles? 02 is the first production model? is $7750 a good price for a 4x4? any bugs to mention? pcm reprogramming?
any and all insight is appreciated!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 PM
spun360
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

105 views and no replies?
hey fellas, i dont bite!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:38 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spun360
i belong to plenty of other forums for which i am grateful! my 96 ram truck is fast, fun, and real reliable. talk to me about jeeps.
can someone give me the short and dirty on a liberty? what are the character faults? i am nailing down a final sale on a 02 with 60k miles on it. if the dealer works with me on a few small things it will be mine before the end of the upcoming week. i have a belt pulley cracked, small grill imperfections and a immaculate interior! no real problems jump out at me. no fluid leaks. clear coat is in OK condition, tires are new. what are the common problems with these vehicles? 02 is the first production model? is $7750 a good price for a 4x4? any bugs to mention? pcm reprogramming?
any and all insight is appreciated!
The 3.7 is prone to the same sludge and overheating problems it's big brother the 4.7 has. Make sure you use a good synthetic oil and ensure it has time to warm up properly/get up to temp so that you burn off the condensation that gets in the oil. 02 uses the 45RFE, same trans as the 4.7/5.7 Rams, lots of support for it. 2002's are taller than 03 and later, the 03+ were lowered a bit. No idea why. Should have 3.73's, upgradeable to 4.10's. Not too many things you can do to them performance wise, the Hypertech won't work for yours but it is possible to custom tune it with an SCT if the PCM p/n is compatible. Sean at Hemifever did this for me when I was messing around with my ex-wife's 2004. Thing I mainly don't like about the 3.7 is where the powerband is, much too high for a 4x4. Take a peek over at http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/index.php, it'll be worth the visit. I pop up on there every great once in a while (04liberty). Just to get you a head start:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/h3ouu0...rts_Manual.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/xjxy8m...ice_Manual.pdf

Quick Reply: 07/01 liberty lots of questions!