K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1988 Aries SW - Not sure what to do with it

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
chuckles153
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Aries SW - Not sure what to do with it

I have a 1988 Aries station wagon with 305,000 km on it. Yes, it is a Canadian model but it has been in Southern California since 2001. California emissions certified.
I love this car. I really do. I have replaced everything under the hood over the years except a couple items I dare not name. The body is is great shape as it has spent all its years in British Columbia and southern California. The engine was done in 2003 and other than a minor oil leak runs great, giving me 25 to 28MPG combined city/highway around Los Angeles. The paint job is peeling and blistered from the California sun, giving a genuine desert ambience to it. The transmission was rebuilt a year ago and is in perfect shape. It has a minor dent in the right rear quarter panel. You see, I am an engineer and I have actually held the crankshaft from this car in my hands.

The other issue is that this was a Canadian model and it does not have A/C. Though living here in the OC, except for maybe 10 days a year I never miss it. I've driven this car to Las Vegas in August and not missed it. Other than that it is a deluxe odel with power door locks and cruise control.

My problem is that really, I need to get a newer car because of my job. I could junk the car but I can't bring myself to dump a car that, while it has a few minor quirks, has been a good faithful friend. In the 15 years I have owned it, it only stranded me twice. I thought it would make a great car for a TV show or movie where they needed a real geek's car or were making a movie that took place in the 80s but I cannot find who to call.

I find out in a few days if my daughter is getting a scholarship to engineering school for her masters degree and if she does, I will have new trouble affording that new Caliber. So what I am looking for maybe is a K-Car enthusiast in southern California that would find something like this worth $1,000. This is not a parts car. Everything works. Starts reliably and runs great.

Any thoughts from any one out there.

Dan
chuckles951@yahoo.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/92518/801EF51E0BE94A6AB1EBFE0D19F78D8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 AM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1988 Aries SW - Not sure what to do with it

If I were you I'd sit on it, the wagons are almost as rare as the coupes only about (I dont have the exact #s in front of me) 25,000 wagons were made in 88 comared to almost 60,000 sedans, and 6000 coupes. Last summer I found out the K is starting to become collectable, because of what was (the car that saved Chrysler).

Quick Reply: 1988 Aries SW - Not sure what to do with it