K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1991 Dodge Shadow, convertible

Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
PJ-Hunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dodge Shadow, convertible

So I snagged this little thing for $500. Wasn't running well and found that a lifter had popped off. Couldn't figure out why so I popped it back in and now it runs like a champ. The top is immaculate and the body is also. The clearcoat has peeled off but not a big deal

Replaced the starter (looked to be the original), fuel filter (looked to be the original), plugs, wires, cap, rotor and the sensor that goes under the cap.

I have a couple little annoying issues that I cannot seem to pinpoint to repair:

First, the trip meter and the odometer don't work. The rest of the instrument cluster does work. I pulled it to see if there was a broken wire or cable but I see nothing wrong so I put it back. Is there anything else I can check or should I just try to find a new guage cluster on ebay or something?

Second, the passenger window doesn't work. I plan on switching the wires to the drivers side switch to see if it's the switch or the motor.

Thirdly, the blower vents keep switching from defrost to floor to panel, regardless of which button I push. I found a vacuum line that wasn't sealing and fixed it but it's still doing it.

Fourth, there are some trim pieces both interior and exterior that I want to replace. Do any of you know where I can go to find parts for this little beast? It's my commuter car to get to/from work to save on diesel costs so I'd really like to repair it some. Plus I think if I can get those annoying things fixed I can flip it for a lot more than what I have paid into it and get a 4wd Jeep again.

Thanks for the help,
PJ

Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
PJ-Hunter

No takers on this??

Old 10-03-2013, 07:37 AM
PJ-Hunter

Still no ideas whatsoever?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
PJ-Hunter

Can people see these posts? I have never not gotten a reply on any forum.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When I get in this evening i'll be able to sit down and reply more indepth. I got my start in the business on these and actually owned several (flipped) in my day.

In the meantime, check out Allpar website for used parts for that older stuff. Lots of older Mopar body enthusiasts there.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
PJ-Hunter

Originally Posted by TNtech
When I get in this evening i'll be able to sit down and reply more indepth. I got my start in the business on these and actually owned several (flipped) in my day.

In the meantime, check out Allpar website for used parts for that older stuff. Lots of older Mopar body enthusiasts there.
Any luck on this??

Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter
Any luck on this??
For the spare parts, you're going to have to look around some enthusiast forums. That ALLPAR site is a good one. Maybe even Ebay. Most of these cars have probably been crushed by now TBH.

As I remember, some had a replaceable plastic gear kit in the motor that you could replace. The motor could be locked up. You can take the door panel off and check for power with a test light at the motor connector. If you DO have power, striking the motor body wiith a hammer while holding the switch down might do the trick. Also as always check your ground as it's old and probably been sitting for a while.

The vent issue is a vacuum leak either inside the dash from one of the actuators or lines. But the most common cause of what you're describing is a bad one-way check valve inline on the vacuum hose. It should be mounted close to the brake booster check valve on a small hose.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM
PJ-Hunter

So, what do you think is wrong with the odometer and trip meter? Is there a wire or sensor that I need to look for or should I try to find a used instrument cluster?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
marty mopar
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the odometer problem is usually the gears for it are trashed and there are replacements for them and you can replace yourself.

I have lots of P body convert parts

www.arizonaparts.com

for a YEAR search put in:

P conv

the items from 1991-93 are for the Shadow

I also have lots of other non-conv P body parts

in the YEAR search put in:

P body

P,A,J

Shadow

1991 p body

etc.

also try

www.turbododge.com

www.turbo-mopar.com

those sites will help you too

Martin 480 966 6683

what trim pieces do you need?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thank you Marty. I couldn't help him very much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Dodge Shadow, convertible