K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

'93 Spirit Distributor Question! (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
TheLaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Spirit Distributor Question! (Newbie)

I went in to get a nasty oil leak fixed and I noted to my mechanic that it has been having some firing issues. He gave it a look and said that the distributor was on its last leg. So naturally, I wanted to see if I could get a high performance replacement.

I've never reinstalled a distributor and although I do know how they work, I don't know how to pick one out.

So the engine is a 3.0L V6 Mitsubishi. I was looking at an MSD 8597 (http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...or%282%29.aspx).

It says its a Chevy distributor, but could I use it on a 3.0L Dodge (Mitsu) engine?

Sorry if I sound newbish, but I am.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDK of any high performance distributor for a 3.0 mits. Why would you even need a HP distributor anyway. The only reason for HP distributors is for high rpm use. That Mits distributor uses optic sensor and they are quite spendy.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
TheLaw

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
IDK of any high performance distributor for a 3.0 mits. Why would you even need a HP distributor anyway. The only reason for HP distributors is for high rpm use. That Mits distributor uses optic sensor and they are quite spendy.
I guess I don't really need a high performance part, but it is dying so I thought I might get something better...

Kind of unrelated question, but related all the same...

If I got a new Ingnition like an MSD 6AL or 6AL-2 and a new Coil like a Blaster 3....would it be pointless if I didn't get a new HP distributor to go along with it? Would I still see performance benefits even using a stock distributor with aftermarket ignition and coil?

I'd also have to see if they are compatible.

Thanks for the answers.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
22DODGE22

You couldn't pay me enough to even use an MSD! In my old race car, I had one of them POS and it cost me a win when the box crapped out. I threw it in the garbage and used only stock ignition systems which never failed me since. And that's spinning my motor 8200+. I bought a 1994 Dodge Dakota off ebay that didn't run. Tthe guy had is all decked out with a 6AL, 5" memory tach, Afco shocks, Basset wheels, headers, Autopro guages, booming system, big yellow Super coil. When I got it home, I pulled all the crap he put on (MSD, Coil) put in stock parts and it fired right up. Was a great truck and I sold it to a buddy who's still driving it. So unless you want to impress people with how much money you like to throw in the garbage, spend it on something of more value that will make you money!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
TheLaw

You couldn't pay me enough to even use an MSD! In my old race car, I had one of them POS and it cost me a win when the box crapped out. I threw it in the garbage and used only stock ignition systems which never failed me since. And that's spinning my motor 8200+. I bought a 1994 Dodge Dakota off ebay that didn't run. Tthe guy had is all decked out with a 6AL, 5" memory tach, Afco shocks, Basset wheels, headers, Autopro guages, booming system, big yellow Super coil. When I got it home, I pulled all the crap he put on (MSD, Coil) put in stock parts and it fired right up. Was a great truck and I sold it to a buddy who's still driving it. So unless you want to impress people with how much money you like to throw in the garbage, spend it on something of more value that will make you money!
Haha..Well I'm still going to need a new distributor, which will be like ~$150...but any ideas for other modifications?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM
22DODGE22

By a race car and keep this as a reliable daily driver. Go to a JY and get a distributor from any 1987-1995 3.0 engine. I've never heard of a distributor on it's last leg: They either work or don't work. They may wear, but you can feel that in the shaft. In order to use my money wisely, I get used quality select used parts as much as possible. If you're worried about spending $150 for a distributor, were you planning on getting a free MSD and coil? Because those will run you several hundred dollars.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
TheLaw

By a race car and keep this as a reliable daily driver. Go to a JY and get a distributor from any 1987-1995 3.0 engine. I've never heard of a distributor on it's last leg: They either work or don't work. They may wear, but you can feel that in the shaft. In order to use my money wisely, I get used quality select used parts as much as possible. If you're worried about spending $150 for a distributor, were you planning on getting a free MSD and coil? Because those will run you several hundred dollars.
Yeah I didn't make the comment about the distributor... That was one of the mechanics from the shop that was doing some work on it...It's making a terrible thwacking sound and it BARELY runs. I haven't driven it since.

Anyway, I can't afford to just buy a car. I like my Spirit. I don't really want to race in it. I just want some performance boost.

The MSD parts are expensive. I know. Maybe $400 for the two.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
22DODGE22

If you can't afford to build a racing car to satisfy your performance boost desires, you can't afford to have your daily driver broke down when it breaks from the boosted performance. I own a daily driver and a race car. The daily driver NEVER gets raced, boosted in performance or beat on in anyway shape or form. Since I started driving, I defered beating my car knowing that if I take care of what I have, I can afford to buy what I want because I'm not fixing things due to my stupidity.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
TheLaw

If you can't afford to build a racing car to satisfy your performance boost desires, you can't afford to have your daily driver broke down when it breaks from the boosted performance. I own a daily driver and a race car. The daily driver NEVER gets raced, boosted in performance or beat on in anyway shape or form. Since I started driving, I defered beating my car knowing that if I take care of what I have, I can afford to buy what I want because I'm not fixing things due to my stupidity.
Well...I don't know how to respond to this. But thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: '93 Spirit Distributor Question! (Newbie)