K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1986 600 Convertible problem (2.5 L, non-turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 PM
rgetty20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 600 Convertible problem (2.5 L, non-turbo)

hey, all.

I'm looking for a couple tips regarding my 1986 dodge 600 convertible (2.5L). The car has low(er) mileage (<85,000miles) and looks and runs great for a car that's almost as old as I am... with one exception.

The engine runs roughly and smells as if it is running too rich with fuel, and sometimes starting hard and sluggish. Additionally, the 'Power Loss' light on the dash is sometimes illuminated.

I have taken the car to a couple mechanics, and received a few repairs that didn't really solve the primary problem. Ultimately, I was informed that the car likely needs a new ECU/PCM and possibly a logic module ('car's 2nd computer'?). Additionally, I was informed that the alternator isn't charging, and that my issues might also be due to bad oxygen sensors and/or injectors. I'd like to make a proper repair, but I'd like to do at least some of it myself, as I've already spent too much at mechanic shops.

Is it fairly straightforward to change out a replacement ECU myself? Is the ECU the same part for both the (non-turbo) 2.2 Liter AND the 2.5 Liter? Any tips or advice would be welcome.

The car, especially recently, has spent quite a bit of its life in-and-out of storage. However, it seems to perform great on the highway and I recently drove the car on a 2-day, 1200-mile road trip.

Here's a few details about recent repairs/inspections:

JUNE, 2010: coolant temp. sensor and spark plugs replaced w/ new. timing belt inspected OK.
AUG, 2008: power module replaced w/ new.
MAY, 2008: throttle body injector replaced w/ new.

Thanks in advance for any great advice from the forum.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
makiyahsdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default similar prob.

hey bud... ive got a 1986 600 se that at the moment... will start cold... and if i turn it off or let off the gas it dies... and wont start back. i dont know what else to do as far as repairs myself. and would love some tips also and if i could help ya with anything then i would offer my help.
current replacements- on 01/11 i replaced the spark plugs and wires, the rotor button and dist. cap, oil filter and changed oil. on 1-15-11 changed throttle position sensor, and 1-17-11 i replaced oxygen sensor.. even after all repairs... still no change. any ideas?? feel free to hit me back. later

Quick Reply: 1986 600 Convertible problem (2.5 L, non-turbo)