K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1993 Dodge Shadow 2.2L Cranks But Doesn't Fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
benknefelkamp@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1993 Dodge Shadow 2.2L Cranks But Doesn't Fire

Car suddenly wouldn't start. I can crank it just fine.

At first, thought it wasn't getting spark. I replaced the wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, and ignition coil.

Then I found out I could run the OBD. I got codes 11, 12, and 41.

What confuses me is that when I was testing all the electrical stuff, I tryed to get a spark off of the main wire coming from the ignition coil to the engine ground and I got no arc. I also hooked my multi-meter into the positive wire of the ignition coil connecter and grounded to the battery. I only got a reading of .06 volts.

I'm hoping its just the timing belt that jumped a tooth and the computer is not letting it get spark?

Any guidance will help, I'm about to start ripping into the engine to get the timing belt and water pump replaced.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
CHRYNY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For staters check if the distributor rotates when you crank the engine. Did the codes show up before you started disconnecting things and checking for a spark or after?

Here is a link below to some of the codes. If the distributor is rotating, I would clear the codes and then try to start it and then re-reread the codes.

Did you change the hall effect sensor in the distributor yet? Also, do you hear the fuel pump energizing initially when you try to start it?

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/#11-17

Last edited by CHRYNY; 12-05-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Shadow 2.2L Cranks But Doesn't Fire