K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

Dodge shadow 2.2l not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
m_ross05
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge shadow 2.2l not starting

The car will not turn on the fuel pump or spark. My first thought was the ASD relay but I tested it and it is fine. If ground the relay harness out the fuel pump will turn on. So I moved on to the hall effect sensor and I could not find a good way to test it so I just replaced it since it was cheap. That also did not help anything. So now I am leaning towards the ECU. Is there any way to test the ECU? also I do not have a check engine light to check codes. I do not know if the bulb is bad or if that is also a symptom of a bad ECU. The distributor is turning the rotor when you turn the motor over also.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

This is a stretch due to how long ago my experience with a Shadow is, but it might be worth a shot. I had a 1990 Shadow ES with the 2.2L and when the ignition switch went out (twice under warranty) it had no spark or fuel pressure, but the gauges and lights turned on. Apparently they have several little contacts that are energized-to the fuel pump and ignition system-when the cylinder was rotated. The dealer replaced the switch twice and the second time fixed it for good. As I said, it might not be that, but it would make sense in that those two systems you mentioned are directly energized by the ignition switch, which is under the steering column cover on the bottom.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 AM
m_ross05
Amateur

I dont know for sure if this rules the switch out but when the key is turned on power is sent to the asd relay, but I believe the computer controls the ground and can turn the switch in the relay open or closed. But I will look into that more, thanks

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
m_ross05
Amateur

I found a cheap SMEC (ecu/pcm) at a pick and pull for 35 bucks and that fixed it, the car starts and runs great. You can use one off of a sundance also if it is same year, motor, and trans. So i guess if someone is searching and stumble upon this thread the symptons I had for a bad SMEC was the ASD relay was not being grounded to close the switch. So that causes the car not to run the fuel pump or make spark. I also did not have a check engine light when I turned the key to the run position.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The same would apply to all 2.2L and 2.5L K cars with throttlebody injection. Good info. Thanks for the follow up.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM
CordellScott

i have a 94 shadow that, i have replaced the fuel pump filter and blow the lines out and it isn't getting gas to the "carb", it would run but it would cut out after 20 seconds. i checked the wiring and it had less than a amp to it. i don't know much about anything newer than 1980 so were would i look for relays and how do i test them and all of the newbie questions. I need it running for school and work, right now i'm done to my old 75 ford that gets a whole 7mpg... HELP

Quick Reply: Dodge shadow 2.2l not starting