K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

Need help replacing my speed distance sensor 81-87 type

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
1987dodgearies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help replacing my speed distance sensor 81-87 type

I have a 1987 Aries with a 2.2l engine. The speed distance sensor needs replacing but my car has the 81-87 older type, which is physically a taller style you cant get anymore. All you can now find are the 88 and newer type, which are supposed to fit, but I cant see how.

According to the link http://www.minimopar.net/speedsensor.html (my car has the sensor type shown on the far left in the photo)
"When replacing the old style (pre 1987) speed sensor with a new unit, you will receive the new style 2-pin version. In order to install it, you have to remove the old style sensor's base from the transmission housing by removing the 10mm bolt. It will also come with a short adapter cable."

There is clearly more to it then just that, in order to swap over the new style 2-pin version.
The speedometer shaft portion that extends down into the trans-axle is much longer on the older version, compared to the newer one.
There must be some sort of conversion involved beyond take the 10mm bolt out to pull the housing. I read that there are conversion instructions but hours of looking online an still noting useful.

Thank you for anyone able to give me some guidance on the swap.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
MoparJeff

Reading the whole article from the link you sent, you are right, there is a lot more to it following the steps at the bottom of the page.

Are you sure the part isn't available? Doing some quick shopping, I found these 2 at Rock Auto that seem to be the old style. I am sure there other sites.

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S4676
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # SC5

Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM
1987dodgearies

Hello, Thanks for replying.

I'm starting to wonder if its not just a matter of swapping out the older, taller model speed sensor (which my car currently has) for the shorter, newer version. It seems to me that the shaft on the newer one is going to be too short, compared to the older speedometer shaft, but I am hoping I'm wrong.

I ordered a replacement SC5 type sensor such as the ones you suggested, figuring, I may as well give it a try. Unfortunately the guy sent me a completely different part that is clearly not made for my car. I guess that's what happens when you try to price shop on eb@y to save a few bucks.

If I can get this sorted out I'm definitely going to post some info on whats actually involved going from a 81-87 to an 88-93 newer type speed sensor.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 AM
MoparJeff

Good luck with it.

FWIW, the way I read the minimopar article is that is when you convert from mechanical to Hall Effect. If you aren't "converting" or "upgrading" maybe all the extra work isn't required to just replace it?

Keep posting, looking forward to hearing your final results.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
1987dodgearies

Just an update to those who also run into replacing the sensor , especially those cars with the 81-87 tall sensor.

I ended up at the local auto parts salvage yard and found several cars with the sensor, still installed. I bought a tall one and also a shorter "newer style" one. I'm thinking the shorter was was a replacement at some point, since it was off an 87 Dodge Colt, if I remember correctly.

When I compared the new style to the older one, it really is a direct drop in part. The actual portion that sticks down into the trans-axles case, is exactly the same length as the older taller one. The older tall style just incorporates a plastic tower spacer which off sets the speedometer sensor/speedometer driven gear assembly. So it makes no difference which you use. The newer one also retains the speedometer gear with two plastic retaining arms, whereas the older one uses a metal spring clip. When you hold them side by side, its clear it is a direct swap, despite cosmetic differences.

I kept the short "newer style" one as a spare and used the taller one in my 87 Aries. I had to cut the two wire leads from the plug harness and soldered in the harness end off my Aries. It figured, they had to be different to make it more involved. I would highly suggest soldering as opposed to crimping them. I used a solder made specifically for electrical connections, so I'm pretty sure I won't have any loss in the correct sensor signal.

Oh...this was after having to de-solder them and then re-do my soldering job, because the first time I SOLDERED THE LEADS IN REVERSE...paying close attention saves time and aggravation. You would think I'd learn.

But anyway, the replaced sensor has completely solved the surging while braking and that feeling that the transmission is slipping when coasting around corners, such as exit ramps.
For the sake of members her and K-car owners searching the internet for advice, If you didn't know any better such symptoms could easily be mistaken for a real transmission problem. So knowing this could save someone a costly repair, especially if you end up going to one of those garages aching to fix stuff in order to over charge you. Its a matter of a $35 new part or about $8 used... if your willing to go to the junkyard. Just remember that if you go to a junkyard, I'd suggest grabbing at least 2 because your taking a gamble, as these things seem to go much like the 2.2L headgaskets do.

UPDATED 2 days later---As fate would have it, driving around a little more then a quick test drive revealed the used sensor I installed the other day is not much better then the bad one I pulled off the car. Its better but not perfect. Go figure,

I guess I'll be swapping this one out as well and keep my fingers crossed the spare I grabbed isn't bad as well. I highly recommend not getting them out of the junk yard for this very reason. Id really suggest buying a new one for $35 for better piece of mind. The OEM type has a few part numbers that it can be found under but commonly under 5227896 Chrysler Dodge Speed Sensor.

In my research I read that a company called AIRTEX makes a good quality after-market sensor under part number 5S4676. I'm probably going to just pick one up and spend the $25-$35 and do it right as opposed to used $10 sensors which are a big gamble. Just make sure new or used, you have the correct harness (adapter) wires, because they sometimes differ.

Last edited by 1987dodgearies; 08-18-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help replacing my speed distance sensor 81-87 type