K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1994 Dodge Spirit issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Jibberish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Spirit issues

Hello again earthlings , I was wondering before I drop my gas tank and try to replace the fuel pump I would ask this question first .

My 94 Spirit ran great ,I parked it and low and behold it will start and die in a few minutes ,starts right up, runs and when I give it gas it seems to kind of choke out .

If back up and pull out of my parking space rather quickly within that 2-5 min time frame it will still run but die .

So what's your best guess fuel pump or o2 censer or dealer choice ?

Thanks .....

Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the O2 sensor you should have a code stored. Since this is pre-OBDII you have to use the key-on-key-off-key-on method and count the flashes.

There are other things that could be causing your problem, but the fuel pump is just one possibility. You have to insert a tee in your incoming fuel line to check fuel pressure and that is a real nuisance that they didn't put a pressure gauge fitting on these cars.

Sometimes the distributor pickup intermittently fails on the 4 cylinder version.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Jibberish
Default Thanks

I'm thinking it might be the distributor or fuel pump , but I'm going to a local auto parts store they have a fuel pressure test kit I have can rent for pretty cheap but first off to Walmart to get a battery charger all the testing is sucking my battery dry (lol)

I think I would have to have someone who knows like a mobile mechanic put on the new distributor ,cant hurt , the engine only has 60k miles and ran like a champ till this issue weird after starting when I press the gas its like flooding or that's what it sounds like , thanks again .

Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM
hoosierrun
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jibberish
I'm thinking it might be the distributor or fuel pump , but I'm going to a local auto parts store they have a fuel pressure test kit I have can rent for pretty cheap but first off to Walmart to get a battery charger all the testing is sucking my battery dry (lol)

I think I would have to have someone who knows like a mobile mechanic put on the new distributor ,cant hurt , the engine only has 60k miles and ran like a champ till this issue weird after starting when I press the gas its like flooding or that's what it sounds like , thanks again .
It is unlikely that you would need a complete distributor, but sometimes the magnetic pickup unit under the cap (looks like a flying saucer with a wire and plug attached) goes bad.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1.Test your fuel pressure.
2.You have spark seeings it runs, rule out distributor.
3.Take a smell of your vacuum line for the regulator, if it smells of fuel your reg may be bad.
4.Check your IACM, TPS, and CTS for proper outputs and the wiring to them. The CTS can cause many issues that mock other issues. A bad TPS will also cause a choking condition when the gas is pressed. The TPS and IACM work together at low throttle to keep it in check, so if one isn't working properly a lot of issues arise. (ask me how I know.)

Old 03-20-2015, 05:23 AM
alegzandro

Hello, I bought Dodge spirit '94 (Chrysler Saratoga in our country) and I can't find some parts for my car. Is there any web store that sells parts for this model and ship worldwide ?
Thanks.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alegzandro
Hello, I bought Dodge spirit '94 (Chrysler Saratoga in our country) and I can't find some parts for my car. Is there any web store that sells parts for this model and ship worldwide ?
Thanks.
Parts like?
What you are looking for would help in pointing you the right direction.
Have you tried the local parts stores and junkyards?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM
hoosierrun
Amateur

RockAuto is one of biggest online parts seller in the US. They should have many of the parts you are looking for.

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Spirit issues