K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

Replace rear turn signal socket

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:20 AM
jpk3004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace rear turn signal socket

wiring diagram

Hi all,

I have a 1986 reliant 2 door with a 2.2. The rear turn/brake/parking socket went bad and it needed replacing. However, the old one has 4 wires (2 green in the middle, 1 black and 1 gray on either side) the one that I can get only has 3 wires (2 black and 1 gray). I am assuming the black was the ground and the gray was looped over to another light socket.
I attached the 2 black to the 2 green, but cannot get them to work. The brake/turn signal do not come on. I guess it is a ground issue, but am not that good with electrical. How can I wire the new 3 wire to work with the old 4 wire?

Thanks for any help

Old 03-21-2015, 02:10 PM
jpk3004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I have so far...Getting there

The first 2 pictures are how it is wired presently. I have 1 green (old wires) and 1 black together (new socket) the other one is 1 green 1 black and the other black (I thought was a ground) and the gray and green together as ground. The last picture is of the old socket.
It works, but only on 1 filament meaning the turn signal and brake light are using 1 filament so they don't work at the same time. I have tried different combinations, but this is the only way I have been able to get anything working on it. Hope this helps anyone to offer advice.

Quick Reply: Replace rear turn signal socket