K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

2.2 & 2.5 head gasket advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2 & 2.5 head gasket advice

My 1993 2.5 TBI blew a head gasket (241,000 miles) ; I think I'm going to go ahead and save it.

I'm sure the head will need to be milled (I know a good shop who knows about the cam towers and to watch them when milling)

Seems the problem is there's a lack of good quality head gaskets offered from what I have researched: MOPAR offered a good HD turbo one many seem to swear by, but it's no longer available. Also , it seems just as many say to avoid the FEL PRO one.

Any suggestions ?

Also, where would you get headbolts for a reasonable amount ?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The gaskets used by the factory where not the best quality. I used felpros on both my turbo cars with no issues. You may want to see what FM has.

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
The gaskets used by the factory where not the best quality. I used felpros on both my turbo cars with no issues. You may want to see what FM has.

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/
Appreciate it, but I didn't see that they offered them.

From my memory Felpro made an improved gasket somewhere around the late 80s or early 1990's; I remember helping a friend install one on an oddball Plymouth Scamp. It held up, but from what I've read they changed it again and there's a lot claiming they are no good ?

Mopar offered an improved Turbo gasket and many said it was the cats meow, but it's no longer offered.

Plus,, I called some machine shops; with 241K miles it's going to need to be milled and at least have a valve job; I was shocked at how much machine work has gone up assuming the head isn't cracked.

Maybe I should just let it go and start looking on Craigslist for a replacement.

Last edited by 2 Dodge Vans; 10-14-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I just looked at the link, they used to have all kind of stuff for the 2.2-2.5 and some crazy hp engines. I believe they also had an all copper head gasket for the turbos. The Chrysler turbo market aint what it used to be so a lot of stuff is not available anymore. This is at the bottom of the FM page (Don't see what you're looking for? Give us a call at 302-658-2829) If anybody would know it would be them, Give them a call!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:42 AM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
I just looked at the link, they used to have all kind of stuff for the 2.2-2.5 and some crazy hp engines. I believe they also had an all copper head gasket for the turbos. The Chrysler turbo market aint what it used to be so a lot of stuff is not available anymore. This is at the bottom of the FM page (Don't see what you're looking for? Give us a call at 302-658-2829) If anybody would know it would be them, Give them a call!
Thanks, it's appreciated

I called them and the top of the line gasket is $150 roughly and headbolts are $ 35 / set.

After looking at cars last night I decided to save the van because it still would be cheaper than risking several thousand on something with over 200K with God knows what expensive issues around the corner.

The guy BTW, told me Chrysler is no longer making head gaskets for the 2.2 and 2.5.

Quick Reply: 2.2 & 2.5 head gasket advice