K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1994 sprit Cylinder 2 dead

Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM
jtsmith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 sprit Cylinder 2 dead

Hi
I spent a little time searching but did not find what I am after. I did see a thread directing the Spirit traffic here. Hope i am in the correct spot.

I am helping my deceased best friend's son repair his 94 3.0 spirit. This will serve him as a daily driver , instead of his 5.4 3 valve F250

After a complete spark tune up, wire, plugs,rotor and cap we still have a dead #2 cylinder with well over 125 psi compression.
Pulling the #2 spark wire while running makes no difference to the thumping idle.

I'm thinking fuel injector, but am open to advice.

Is there a thread somewhere showing a DIY of fuel injector replacement on this engine?

Which parts should I obtain? I assume we need an intake gasket. Do you have recommendations?
Is there anything I should be aware of?

Your answers may bring several more questions. I just don't want to head into this blind, as I have never wrenched on one of these.

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doing injectors is pretty straight forward. You'll need injector o-rings and upper intake(plenum) gaskets.

Assuming you checked and have spark on #2 cylinder. If so, I would check wiring to the #2 injector before replacing the injector. If the wiring checks out, changing the injector would be a good next step.
Depending on where you're located I have a lot of 3.0 parts.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
jtsmith

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Doing injectors is pretty straight forward. You'll need injector o-rings and upper intake(plenum) gaskets.

Assuming you checked and have spark on #2 cylinder. If so, I would check wiring to the #2 injector before replacing the injector. If the wiring checks out, changing the injector would be a good next step.
Depending on where you're located I have a lot of 3.0 parts.
Thanks for the reply.

spark was the first suspect, so new plugs, wires, cap and rotor were installed.

We even thought we had a bad plug out of the box so it was replaced again.

I did check the fuel injector wiring. Well, I looked at it. It's very difficult to get a meter probe in there, let alone disconnect the injector.

Are these things batch fire , or are the sequential fire injection? The reason I ask is the injector wires all seem to be the same color combination.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:08 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jtsmith
Are these things batch fire , or are the sequential fire injection? The reason I ask is the injector wires all seem to be the same color combination.
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to this. Knock on wood, I've never had an injector issue on a 3.0.
I've had regulators go bad, but outside that and fuel pumps, I've never had a fuel issue.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:37 PM
jtsmith

Indeed this is a pretty straight forward repair. New injector fixed it.

You will need to remove the 2 egr attaching bolts at the intake manifold, remove the air box completely and bend the coil bracket backward.

Other than that it now runs like a Corvette, took about 1 1/2 hours including taking off-reinstalling little things that need not been removed.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:12 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jtsmith
Indeed this is a pretty straight forward repair. New injector fixed it.

You will need to remove the 2 egr attaching bolts at the intake manifold, remove the air box completely and bend the coil bracket backward.

Other than that it now runs like a Corvette, took about 1 1/2 hours including taking off-reinstalling little things that need not been removed.
Excellent.
Now if you ever decide you want to make it outrun a Corvette, hit me up. I built it's sister car (Acclaim) from the ground up, I know them very well, and know how to make them very quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 sprit Cylinder 2 dead