K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

Install fuel tank seal/grommet to filler pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:48 PM
stilllearning6
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install fuel tank seal/grommet to filler pipe

1989 Dynasty 3.0 liter / 6 cyl; 14 gal fuel tank :

Trying to insert the fuel filler pipe into the fuel tank .
Using new fuel tank seal / grommet.

I tried to first install the rubber seal / grommet into the fuel tank. Success.

Then, tried to push the steel filler pipe into the fuel tank seal/grommet.
Not go.
The end of the filler pipe has a y shaped air breather that ends in a black plastic large sphere with a hole in it . This massive assembly gets in the way. Too fat to get through the rubber fuel tank seal/grommet.

So, I disassembled and placed the rubber seal / grommet over the steel filler pipe, then added the black nipple sphere at end of breather tube, slid everything into fuel tank and then ...

tried to force the rubber seal /grommet into the fuel tank hole.
Not go.

What is the correct procedure?

Do you first insert the grommet into tank and then try to insert filler pipe with the massive sphere end nipple ? Does not seem plausible. Too much mass.

The alternative is to first place the grommet seal onto the filler pipe and then attempt to force shove the grommet seal into the fuel tank hole. Unfortunately, the mass of the steel filler pipe that is already inserted within the steel pipe is preventing me from squeezing the fuel tank seal grommet into the fuel tank hole .

Anyone successfully done this with the weird filler pipe fat end stuff? The internet videos do not have this issue . They easily lubricate the grommet, push it into tank , lubricate pipe ( no fat ending!!) and slide the pipe into the grommet.

No problems for them. Dodge Dynasty 3.0 liter appears to be unique.

Attached Thumbnails Install fuel tank seal/grommet  to filler pipe-fuel-filler-pipe-with-black-sphere-at-tank-end-.jpg   Install fuel tank seal/grommet  to filler pipe-grommet-slid-over-pipe-before-attempt-into-gas-tank-.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 PM
stilllearning6
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Success.
I stripped it down again and first inserted the seal/ grommet into the fuel tank as everyone seems to do.

Then , while fiddling with the massive steel filler pipe nipple end with black sphere, I accidentally noticed that the end piece can be pushed into the steel pipe against a spring action which usually keeps it extended.

With the retracted sphere, the end was normal sized.
The pipe was lubed with trans fluid and forced into the fuel tank grommet.

Dynasty took forever to get the bone dry fuel tank / new fuel pump primed and to refill the fuel lines to the engine.
Took at least 30 turns of the key with only occasional sound of the fuel pump priming action.
Several times I got out of the driver's seat and violently rocked the rear of the car to try to get the fuel pump primed.
Finally worked . Let idle for 15 minutes .

Quick Reply: Install fuel tank seal/grommet to filler pipe