K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

89 Aries 2.2 Engine replacement considerations.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 AM
Suzonda
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Aries 2.2 Engine replacement considerations.

So recently I picked up a 1989 Aries automatic that's had a stuck engine. Come to find out cylinders are scored to crap so new powerplant it is. However I was thinking of replacing it with a 2.5 or 3.0 out of a 94ish Voyager. The 2.2s, 2.5, and 2.6s are literally impossible to find in this entire state so I was wondering if anybody knew if it was a somewhat painless process besides wiring or if there's a LOT of modding to be had before this is even considerable. Mostly worried about trans matchup and engine mounts.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzonda
So recently I picked up a 1989 Aries automatic that's had a stuck engine. Come to find out cylinders are scored to crap so new powerplant it is. However I was thinking of replacing it with a 2.5 or 3.0 out of a 94ish Voyager. The 2.2s, 2.5, and 2.6s are literally impossible to find in this entire state so I was wondering if anybody knew if it was a somewhat painless process besides wiring or if there's a LOT of modding to be had before this is even considerable. Mostly worried about trans matchup and engine mounts.

Lot's of luck find a 4 banger in a van. Back then, most people went with the V-6 and 4 speed transmission. The 4 cylinder 3 speed was a great combination but everybody wanted to let their lead feet hammer on the loud pedal. That's why the transmissions got a bad reputation. The 4 speed didn't like to be run hot or hammered. I think the bolt pattern on a 6 cylinder has a different pattern and the transmission in your car won't hook up. The 2.2 was used in the Aries as well as the Omni/Horizon. I think it was used in some of the basic Dakota pickups too. If you can score one from a manual transmission pickup, it may fit your application. I'm not sure about the 2.2 and 2.5 interchanges though.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2.2/2.5 can be interchanged with little hassle. The 2.5 Turbo can also be used if you can find a donor to pull wiring/computer from.
Any of the V6s can be installed as well, but you will also need the trans and related wiring/computers to get everything to work.
I would personally stick with the 2.2/2.5/2.5 turbo, they're going to be the easiest to get up and running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 Aries 2.2 Engine replacement considerations.