K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1988 Plymouth Reliant K-Car Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Diana
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Plymouth Reliant K-Car Question

If ANYone can help, please! My '88 K-Car just stalled in traffic (suddenly stopped running) and I noticed the oil light came on as this was happening, but, oil was almost full when checked. When I tried to re-start it, nothing happened, and after trying over and over again, it at least made some cranking noise, but would not start! I never had much trouble with this car, replaced starter, brakes etc. ... What could be wrong with it?!! ANY response would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Bassboy
Veteran
Default RE: 1988 Plymouth Reliant K-Car Question

First off, welcome to the forum. I had this problem with my 91 Shadow, aswell as my other 91 shadow, anytime the car is in gear and the rpm's hit 900 the oil light starts to flash. One of the Shadows is now dead because it first had a blown piston, we rebuilt the bottom end and a few days later threw a rod (Spun the rod bearing). Now you said when you tried to restart it "nothing happened", it didnt turn over at all? Also what motor does your car have? (I'm guessing the 2.2L, but could be wrong). After you heard it start to turn over did it start? I'm pretty familiar with the 4 cyl motor in the K-Cars as I have 3 of them so I will try to help as much as I can.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Diana

Thank you so much for responding. When I said nothing happened, I meant it would not even crank, it made no noise at all and there were no lights on the dash board at all. Then, after awhile I tried and the lights were back on (all the redlights etc.) and it made cranking noise at least but would NOT start! I was in traffic, in the middle of the street, and so I tried to get a jump, not knowing what to do, and someone FINALLY stopped and tried to jump start it, but it would not start. What should I do, what could be wrong with it?! Again, thank you so very much!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Bassboy
Veteran

There are alot of different things that could go wrong, and cause it to not start. Try unhooking the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up and try to start it; this sometimes clears things up. While you have your battery unhooked check your battery terminals, as they could be dirty (which could be why no lights came on in the dash when you tried to start it). Also check for computer codes, Here is a site that explains it. http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Diana

Thank you. This may sound dumb but, when you say unhook the battery do you mean just to take the 2 cables off the top of it? When I had the starter replaced I remember them cleaning and replacing all battery cables. (Don't know if "cables" is the word)
Also, what would the computer codes have to do with not starting?
One more thing, please. In the mornings, since it's been cold, whenever I start it it runs for a minute then turns off. Always starts back up though.
I'm going to have to have it towed to a shop, what are the possible causes/actions they may come up with? I will try unhooking the battery like you mentioned first, and thank you so much.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Diana

yeah, I remember a time when the check engine light was on for so long and went off after someone fixed it by knowing those codes. thanks very much.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Bassboy
Veteran

No problem, hope it helps some. Usually when a car wont start it will set a computer fault code, this is why i said to check for them. I remember when the timing belt spun on my fiances 91 Shadow after cranking on it a few times it killed the fuel pump, I could unhook the battery and turn the key to the ON possition and the fuel pump would kick in. With my 93 there was a week (nearly a year ago now) I couldnt get my car to start, it was getting gas and spark but wouldnt fire...I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and when i hooked it back up I got it to start. Cars are weird like this....alot of different things that can go wrong with them, really hard to say what might be wrong with yours...It sounds like some type of short or maybe a bad sensor. Where abouts are you from?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Diana

Yes, a couple of years ago when put on the diagnostic thing they mentioned a sensor and it was fine after they fixed it. I am in Indiana. I wish I knew more about those codes, and hope I can get it up and running soon without getting ripped off financially. I rarely have trouble, especially starting, and it is such an easy car to fix for someone who knows what they're doing. Thanks again, very much.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Bassboy
Veteran

Your welcome, and yes they are very easy cars to work on; if you lived a bit closer I would be more than willing to come and take a look at it. Hope it doesnt cost you too much to get it fixxed....Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Diana

BassBoy Hi,
I couldn't get the battery terminals off, they are slightly rusted, but what I wanted to ask you was this: should the car be put on the diagnostic machine to determine what's wrong or can a mechanic just look at it and tell? I'v been asking around and being told it could be minor to major, fuel pump, etc.etc. and I know I'm going to get ripped off!
Thanks for all of your responses, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 1988 Plymouth Reliant K-Car Question